Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burning a CD is a challenge with Apple Music

I am a long time iTunes user. I have thousands of songs in my iTunes library that I have either ripped from CDs or purchased from iTunes, Amazon and other sites.

I also am an Apple Music subscriber.

I want to burn playlists to a CD. When I try to do this, I get a message that says that some of the songs on the playlist I don't own. Well, I know that is true for some of the songs, and not true for others. Apple seems to have difficulties keeping track of songs that I have previously ripped from CDs or purchased from iTunes.

To further complicate things, when I go to iTunes to buy the songs that it says I don't own, there is no price beside the song that I wish to purchase. The other songs on the CD (the ones I don't want to buy) have prices beside the song.

This is maddening. What's the solution?

I know one solution would be to cancel my Apple Music subscription and switch to Spotify for streaming, and use iTunes storing and buying music, and for burning the stuff that I own. Maybe if I remove the Apple Music subscription from the equation, Apple can go back to correctly storing my music and letting me burn CDs. If not, I'd be forced to stop using both Apple Music and iTunes.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on Jan 20, 2019 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 5:14 AM

Hi,

You cannot burn playlists that contain music downloaded from Apple Music because of copyright protection. If you want to burn playlists for music that you own, you need to make sure that the iCloud status of the tracks are not Apple Music. Read this https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203564

If you want to purchase tracks from iTunes Store, you need to make sure that the Apple Music version is deleted first.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2019 5:14 AM in response to paloaltomarco

Hi,

You cannot burn playlists that contain music downloaded from Apple Music because of copyright protection. If you want to burn playlists for music that you own, you need to make sure that the iCloud status of the tracks are not Apple Music. Read this https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203564

If you want to purchase tracks from iTunes Store, you need to make sure that the Apple Music version is deleted first.

Jan 21, 2019 10:47 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Hi,

I add the two columns to my view of songs. As I go through the songs of my playlist, and I find a song that I need to delete because it's from Apple Music and replace with one that I bought (which is sitting on my hard drive, and which I already thought that I imported into iTunes), the act of temporarily deleting the song and then re-adding it removes the song from any playlist it was on. Ouch. This is an incredibly inconvenient process.

Mark

Burning a CD is a challenge with Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.