Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to create an equivalent "pivot" table in Numbers

I want to use Numbers for my spreadsheets. Whenever I open an Excel spreadsheet that has pivot tables, Numbers informs me that those pivot tables are now regular spreadsheets. How do I create an equivalent spreadsheet in Numbers?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 12:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2019 10:39 PM

Let's say you have data like this (from the 'Personal Budget' template at File > New in your menu, adding a Vendor column and and extra month of transactions.

Let's say you want to exclude Vendor Z. Add a filter:

And categorize by Category.

And add subtotals:

And break down by month:

As with Pivot Tables there are lots of ways to slice and dice and summarize your data without touching a formula.

As in Excel you can also use SUMIF and SUMIFS, COUNTIF and COUNTIFS in a summary table as the template does in the Summary by Category table on the Budget sheet.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2019 10:39 PM in response to BJW45-__

Let's say you have data like this (from the 'Personal Budget' template at File > New in your menu, adding a Vendor column and and extra month of transactions.

Let's say you want to exclude Vendor Z. Add a filter:

And categorize by Category.

And add subtotals:

And break down by month:

As with Pivot Tables there are lots of ways to slice and dice and summarize your data without touching a formula.

As in Excel you can also use SUMIF and SUMIFS, COUNTIF and COUNTIFS in a summary table as the template does in the Summary by Category table on the Budget sheet.

SG

Jan 21, 2019 7:30 PM in response to BJW45-__

Pivot Tables are great! Numbers, though, doesn't have a direct equivalent, though you can accomplish many of the same things.

Many Pivot Tables can be recreated in Numbers using COUNTIFS and SUMIFS.

Categories is Numbers creates something similar to Subtotal in Excel, and thus has some similarities to Pivot Tables.

Can you give an example of the kind of Pivot Table you have in your Excel documents that you would like to have in Numbers?

SG

Jan 22, 2019 3:43 PM in response to SGIII

Thanks for responding. My primary sheet is a listing of: purchase dates, vendor, category (e.g., household, groceries, etc.), amount and Month (I use the "month" column to filter in my pivot tables). The pivot tables are created to segregate such things as a report of vendors for a given month and the amounts expended, or a report of categories with the same information, etc. In creating the pivot tables, I can, for example, further filter using a select number of items in the vendor or category listing. What I like about this is that if I add or subtract an entry in the main input sheet, that change is reflected in the pivot table.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

How to create an equivalent "pivot" table in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.