Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 4 regional nightmare

I have to live and work in Europe. But I am American and have all American accounts at Apple. I was given an Apple Watch in the EU for the holiday and discovered that apparently the ECG Heart monitor (one of two reasons I wanted the Watch) apparently is disabled outside the USA. What a disappointment.

But one doesn’t discover this unless you do deep research in the off chance an advertised feature doesn’t work where you live so I never knew.

But lucky me, I visited family in the US and had a chance to buy another (US) watch and then return my EU watch ( once back in the EU).

The ECG on the new watch worked and I was happy. UNTIL...

I tried to connect my Apple Watch that has the heart monitor to cellular and guess what? The cellular function doesn’t work here because apparently the “bands are different”.

So basically, i have learned in the most expensive and tedious way possible, that it is impossible to own an Apple Watch Series 4 that both has:

a) a functioning heart ECG monitor AND

b) works on cellular networks in the EU.

That watch apparently does not exist.

Terrible experience for me. Totally disappointed. Now I’m trying to get an EU watch again which is going to be expensive because Apple apparently doesn’t provide warranty for a US watch in the EU! So I can’t return a US watch here.

Apple isn’t even taking Series 4 as tradeins so I’m at a loss.

has anyone else dealt with this? And ideally resolved it?

Apple Watch

Posted on Jan 21, 2019 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2019 5:47 AM

Hi, So I worked my way through Apple support lines and found a guy named George who helped me.

He said it's true that today one cannot have a Watch that is both ECG functional AND Cellular functional in the EU. At least for now, it appears, a customer has to choose between those features.

But he is allowing me to return my US watch so I can get an EU watch without ECG functionality.

I think they solved my issue as best they can under the circumstances.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2019 5:47 AM in response to Joel Pro

Hi, So I worked my way through Apple support lines and found a guy named George who helped me.

He said it's true that today one cannot have a Watch that is both ECG functional AND Cellular functional in the EU. At least for now, it appears, a customer has to choose between those features.

But he is allowing me to return my US watch so I can get an EU watch without ECG functionality.

I think they solved my issue as best they can under the circumstances.

Apple Watch Series 4 regional nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.