Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't people hear me unless I put on my speaker?

Why can't people hear me unless I put on my speaker? I have an iphone8

​[Re-Titled by Host]

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 10:26 AM

1. To test the primary microphone on the bottom of your iPhone, open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Then speak into the microphone and tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.
  2. To test the front microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the front camera. To test the rear microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the back camera. When you play back the video you should hear your voice clearly.
  3. If your voice sounds faint when you’re on a phone call, make sure that your rear microphone isn’t blocked or covered.
  4. If Siri can't hear you, make sure that the receiver and front microphone on top of your iPhone aren't covered or dirty.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2019 10:26 AM in response to Sherry M

1. To test the primary microphone on the bottom of your iPhone, open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Then speak into the microphone and tap the play icon to play back the recording. You should be able to hear your voice clearly.
  2. To test the front microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the front camera. To test the rear microphone, open the Camera app and record a video using the back camera. When you play back the video you should hear your voice clearly.
  3. If your voice sounds faint when you’re on a phone call, make sure that your rear microphone isn’t blocked or covered.
  4. If Siri can't hear you, make sure that the receiver and front microphone on top of your iPhone aren't covered or dirty.

Why can't people hear me unless I put on my speaker?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.