Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

convert number to percentage

Hi, I am sure there is a very simple way to do this but I still new to the world of spreadsheets!

I am a teacher and would like to be able to convert the marks students got for different units that all have different max totals to see what they equate to as %.

E.g. in the example shown, I would like to be able to convert each student's mark out of 140 into a percentage.

I would also like to be able to do this for different units (e.g. the TV/Music 30 mark and Comp 2 Total out of 60 columns

Is anyone able to help?

Many thanks in advance as always,

Greg

MacBook Air (2018 or later)

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 8:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2019 9:26 AM

Well, in general, percent means "out of 100".

so to get the percentage, you divide the part by the whole.

Set up your table so the first two rows are header rows (like shown above)

Then enter the information in the first two rows as shown above

select cell E1 and enter the formula

=SUM(A1:D1)

short and for this is:

E1=SUM(A1:D1)

E3=SUM(A3:D3)

to fill this down, select cell E3, copy

select cells E3 thru the end of column E, paste

To calculate the percent,

F3=E3/E$1

select cell F3 and open the cell formatter to change to Percent with two digits (or how ever many you want):

select cell F3, copy

select cells F3 thru the end of column F, paste

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 23, 2019 9:26 AM in response to KippMajors78

Well, in general, percent means "out of 100".

so to get the percentage, you divide the part by the whole.

Set up your table so the first two rows are header rows (like shown above)

Then enter the information in the first two rows as shown above

select cell E1 and enter the formula

=SUM(A1:D1)

short and for this is:

E1=SUM(A1:D1)

E3=SUM(A3:D3)

to fill this down, select cell E3, copy

select cells E3 thru the end of column E, paste

To calculate the percent,

F3=E3/E$1

select cell F3 and open the cell formatter to change to Percent with two digits (or how ever many you want):

select cell F3, copy

select cells F3 thru the end of column F, paste

Jan 23, 2019 12:36 PM in response to KippMajors78

Hi Greg,

I'm having difficulty relating the numbers in the top row to the "140" total and the numbers in each row below that to the 'total' on that row of the first green column.

I assume there are some columns missing from the left side to the table.

The basic formula for percentage is ('this score' divided by 'possible total') times 100.

With column letters arbitrarily set as A, B, C, D, E, F, and G for the seven columns visible (or partially visible) in the image in your post, the formula for the Total Score percentage, placed in cell G2, is

G2: F2/140

The actual value calculated in this case, rounded to two places after the decimal, will be 0.09.

With the cell formatted to display as a percentage, the displayed result will be 9%.

In the example below, I've added a second header row to hold the possible score, expressed as a number, rather than as part of the text string in row 1. This permits using a cell reference in place of the fixed "140" written into each formula.

Formula in G3: SUMIFS(Sales::$H, Sales::$A,">="&B$2,Sales::$A,"<="&B$3)

Fill down to the rest of the cells in column G.

Format the cells containing the formula as Percentage, with 0 decimal places for the results shown below:

Regards,

Barry

Jan 27, 2019 6:24 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Many thanks for them swift response - sorry not got back as I had to hastily get this altogether for a prenatal evening - whic really helped! Solved and the detail helped me really understand how you were creating it :)

Many thanks also to Barry for also helping me better understand how you are building the formulae.

Problem solved, as always! Many thanks :))))

convert number to percentage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.