Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting An Error Trying To Partition Disk in Boot Camp Assistant

Hi,
I'm trying to install Windows 7 (32-bit), using Boot Camp Assistant. I clicked the "Use 32 GB" button and then clicked "Partition." Then, all of a sudden, I got an error. It says:

*The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.*

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

------------------------------------

I have no intention of reinstalling Mac OSX and moving my files back from my external hard drive.

Please suggest a workaround or why I am getting this dialog box.

Thank You So Much!!!!!!

iMac System Specifications:
-(September 2008)
20" Display
250 GB Hardrive
3 GB Memory
Running Mac OSX 10.6.4

Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4), 20" Intel iMac, 3rd Gen iPod Touch, 2nd Gen iPod Shuffle, Magic Mouse

Posted on Jul 10, 2010 9:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2010 9:06 PM

Hi,

have a look at this thread http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2449678&tstart=0

In essence the BootCamp Assistant cannot find a free contingeous diskspace of the size you want to use for BootCamp Assistant and thus fails.

The easiest approach is to clone your OSX to an external harddisk using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner; then reformat your internal harddisk and then restore your OSX from the external HD to the internal one.

This 'defrags' the OSX volume so that the BC Assistant can find the diskspace he needs.

Regards

Stefan
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2010 9:06 PM in response to Carpetfizz

Hi,

have a look at this thread http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2449678&tstart=0

In essence the BootCamp Assistant cannot find a free contingeous diskspace of the size you want to use for BootCamp Assistant and thus fails.

The easiest approach is to clone your OSX to an external harddisk using either SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner; then reformat your internal harddisk and then restore your OSX from the external HD to the internal one.

This 'defrags' the OSX volume so that the BC Assistant can find the diskspace he needs.

Regards

Stefan

Jul 12, 2010 7:30 AM in response to Fortuny

Stefan -I'm trying to do the same thing, and have the same results. I have backed everything up to an external HD via Time Machine. How do I then reformat the internal drive? Can I reboot from the Snow Leopard install DVD? (I installed SL in May) Or use the original install disc I got in 2007 when I bought the MBP? And then what? Go to BootCamp, partition (how much for Win7? I have 36/160GB available), install Win7, then restore from the external HD using Time Machine? This is all new territory for me, and my experience in the past has taught me to be precise in my steps to avoid complications. Thanks for your contributions to these forums.

Thanks, Tyler

Jul 15, 2010 2:54 PM in response to Fortuny

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with trying to create a 40 GB partition. I've run Disk Utility and fixed permissions, Verified my disk, defragged with DiskTools, run the suggested terminal command and I get this as a result:

/dev/disk0
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID partitionscheme *320.1 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS MMP's MacBook Pro 319.7 GB disk0s2

I do have VMWare Fusion on my Mac which runs poorly and is the reason I'm having to set up Boot Camp for Windows 7 and Office 2010. Could VMWare be the cause of my problems? I'd appreciate any help you could give me!

MMP

Getting An Error Trying To Partition Disk in Boot Camp Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.