Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to import miniDV tapes from a Sony DCR-TRV18 to iMovie

I am attempting to import miniDV tapes from a Sony DCR-TRV18 via firewire and the Apple Firewire-Thunderbolt adapter. To get the to the Thunderbolt adapter, I had to purchase a 3rd party firewire 400/800 adapter as well. Anyways, all the pieces fit together.

When I power up the camcorder, set to VCR, and select import within iMovie....nothing happens. Everything I've read and watched demonstrates that I should be able to see the camcorder screen mirrored within iMovie. This doesn't happen for me and I can't even select the camcorder as a source to import from. Anyone have an idea?

MacBook Air 13", 10.14

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 7:26 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Feb 8, 2019 8:03 PM in response to logic79

This is on an early 2014 MacBook Air (I did try this on a 2012 MacBook Pro and didn't get it to work). The camcorder is a Sony with their firewire output (iLink).

I tried upload a photo here, but an error occurred. Here's a link to a photo of the cables/adapters: https://imgur.com/a/147CDLT

Left to right: iLink to Firewire 400 cable / Firewire 400 to 800 adapter / Firewire 800 to Thunderbolt adapter.

Jan 26, 2019 1:06 PM in response to dillnw

Rather than importing directly into iMovie, try using the Image Capture app on your Mac to import to a folder on your desktop. From there you can drag the videos into iMovie.

Another way, actually the recommended one, is to import into the Photos app. You can then access the vids in iMovie by way of the Photos item in the iMovie sidebar.

-- Rich

Jan 26, 2019 1:20 PM in response to Rich839

None of these apps brought up the camcorder as an option for device to import from. It's as if the computer just doesn't see it - which, I suppose, is possible. All three connection pieces (firewire cable, firewire 400/800 adapter, firewire/thunderbolt adapter) have never been proven to work, so I could have a weak link. Even this port on the camcorder has never been used, and this thing has been in box in the closet for years...

I've run diagnostics from boot up and nothing came back for the Thunderbolt port on my mac. Is there any way to see if the mac is receiving a signal through via Thunderbolt at all? If I could rule that out, I suppose I need to start replacing these connections.

Jan 27, 2019 9:07 AM in response to dillnw

It could be bad connections or a defective socket, as you are suspecting.

You might want to consider taking your computer and video recorder into a local Apple Store and consulting the Genius bar there. They have testing equipment.

At home you can try plugging in another device to the socket and see it works.

-- Rich

Feb 8, 2019 7:09 PM in response to dillnw

I have been working on this same issue for some time and I am interested in the Firewire to Th/B adaptor. I assume it is the adaptor with a FW-400 (6 pin) socket to a Th/B plug. If so, it is a Th/B 1 type plug and if it fits your computer it must be a pre 2014 computer which works in my configuration. Can you confirm please the plug/socket type of the adaptor.

Feb 10, 2019 11:01 AM in response to dillnw

I have two Sony DCR-TRV cameras into a 2011 iMac. Connection is iLink (4 pin) to Firewire (6 pin-400) cable into a (6 pin-400) FW - Thunderbolt adapter to a Thunderbolt port. You have too many adapters. You don't need the 400 to 800 adapter. I some times use an iLink to FW/800 straight into a FW 800 port, if you have one.

On the camera, make sure USB streaming is off and output is set to V-out/LCD.

I run three OS's. 10.8, 10.12 and 10.13, all OK.

I see you are using 10.14 on a 2014 MacBook Air. I would suggest this as part of your trouble.

What version of iMovie are you using?

Feb 11, 2019 4:21 PM in response to logic79

I've got the latest version of iMovie and I got the adapters based on the cable I had available (and a Youtube video I saw work with the exact same setup). I see that there is a iLink to Firewire 800 cable on amazon. I suppose that I could try to remove the one adapter.

How do you change the output settings on the camcorder? I have just been setting it to VCR mode but am unfamiliar with other settings that could be changed.

Feb 12, 2019 1:42 PM in response to dillnw

Import from older Sony DCR-TRV series cameras to older macs with Thunderbolt and Firewire 400/800 ports.

From the camera, an iLink connector to Firewire 400 or 800 port or iLink to FW 800 to a FW800 to Thunderbolt 1 adapter, still available from Apple. This works into iMovie 6HD with OS 10.8 thru to OS 10.13, not sure about 10.14.

This configuration also works with iMovie 9 and 10.1.10

Yes, iMovie 6HD works with OS 10.6 to OS 10.13.

In this setup I also use a Canopus ADVC 110 to capture composite video and audio from VHS tape players or any device that has video/audio out.

Now with new Macs that only have USB and USB 3/Thunderbolt ports and you want to import from older cameras, the connection process is identically different. ( An old quote from my grandfather).

iLink to FW800 cable, then to FW800 to Thunderbolt 1 adapter as explained above, then to a new FW800 to USB3 adapter, then into the USB3/(Thunderbolt) port on the new Mac. I promise you the video and audio signal with not get giddy on its journey.

I run this config, into a 2011 iMac with OS 10.8 and 10.13.6 High Sierra and a new 2017 iMac with 10.13.6.

I have also connected the ADVC 110 through this config. and it works sweet as so I can import from older cameras and VHS on a new Mac

I knew Macs were good and if you connect things up the right way, they will do anything for you. 

Now for dilnw who was asking about older camera settings like USB streaming Off and V-out/LCD.

Open the LCD viewfinder and put camera in playback mode. On the display, bottom RHS is a little box with FN in it. Press this and window with a menu box will appear. Open it and scroll up or down to select various settings. Most are self explanatory.

Long live Macs.

Trying to import miniDV tapes from a Sony DCR-TRV18 to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.