Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the ATI Radeon HD 5770 compatible with MOJAVE OS upgrade?

I love my power mac G5 (2010) but am starting to have some problems since the last security upgrade. I was thinking that updating the OS to Mojave might be a work around, but the requirements are that the graphics card be "metal" compatible.

Does anyone know if this graphics card will work with Mojave (that is: is it metal compatible).

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2019 12:33 PM

I was being a dufus. It is a Mac Pro (mid 2010). For some reason it isn't letting me update the firmware using the normal shutdown, hold the power button until it flashes and emits a long tone. Without a firmware update I can't reload the High Sierra OS.

I was going to just upgrade to Mojave to see if that was a work around but I have been digging through the tech files and my year of Mac and my graphics card are not compatible.

It took awhile of digging before I found the answer, but I appreciate you trying to help.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2019 12:33 PM in response to Kappy

I was being a dufus. It is a Mac Pro (mid 2010). For some reason it isn't letting me update the firmware using the normal shutdown, hold the power button until it flashes and emits a long tone. Without a firmware update I can't reload the High Sierra OS.

I was going to just upgrade to Mojave to see if that was a work around but I have been digging through the tech files and my year of Mac and my graphics card are not compatible.

It took awhile of digging before I found the answer, but I appreciate you trying to help.

Jan 28, 2019 9:53 PM in response to breakfast with Amy

I found the tech notes that state that the ATI Radeon HD 5770 is not compatible with Mojave OS. The HD 5770 is not "metal" compatible and that is a requirement of Mojave. If I wanted to update my Mac Pro mid 2010 to Mojave I would have to update the graphics card to one that was "metal" compatible.

The HD 5770 is the stock graphic card that came with the Mac Pro.

Is the ATI Radeon HD 5770 compatible with MOJAVE OS upgrade?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.