Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is Container disk1 and how can I delete it?

iMac Pro running OS X 10.14.3 where Disk Utility lists Container disk2 hosting the primary drive iMac HD1 & Container disk1 - 2 volumes but no data. Container disk2 available space is 700GB, Container disk1 available space is 300GB but contains no data.

How can I restore the space from Container disk1 - remove the item - so it is available to the primary drive on Container disk2?

iMac Pro, 10.14

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2019 9:58 PM

How do I delete a container disk from the partition on my drive?

I believe this is a bug in the new APFS conversion process. Unless you did some custom manipulation of the drive,

typically Containers are created sequentially.

A Container is much like a Partition. There is no option to name the Container. If you erase the Drive the newly created apfs will create a Container disk1.

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/fix-apfs-container-bug-disk-utility/

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2019 9:58 PM in response to Jkirk6

How do I delete a container disk from the partition on my drive?

I believe this is a bug in the new APFS conversion process. Unless you did some custom manipulation of the drive,

typically Containers are created sequentially.

A Container is much like a Partition. There is no option to name the Container. If you erase the Drive the newly created apfs will create a Container disk1.

https://www.macobserver.com/tips/deep-dive/fix-apfs-container-bug-disk-utility/

Jan 30, 2019 4:28 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for replying Leroy. Through struggles I accept that a Container disk cannot be deleted or renamed. I was able to use Disk Utility and re-partition the SSD to a single partition with one Container disk of 1TB hosting my iMac HD1; it is still labeled Container disk2 though.

I had been testing Mojave on a separate disk partition before upgrading, probably where the second Container disk occurred.

What is Container disk1 and how can I delete it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.