Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copy paste loses contents after a few seconds

My copy/paste is broken, even within the same app.

I can ⌘-C copy text in TextEdit, then ⌘-V and it shows the menu item being used ([edit] menu blinks) but nothing gets pasted.

Then I try again - reselect the text, ⌘-C & ⌘-V and it works, but if I keep pasting, it stops pasting after ~3-4 tries.

Now I must re-copy and pste almost everything 2-3 times to get it to finally work, and do it quickly by using the app-switcher/Tab-switching/window-switching keyboard shortcuts, as if I take too long the clipboard loses it's contents! The first time alway fails, even if I switch and paste quickly, I always have to do it twice at minimum.

I have tried Force-Quitting `pboard`, and restarting the computer - issue does not resolve.

What else can I try?

FYI this happened recently after upgrading to Mohave, 10.14.2, from High Sierra Previously. Not sure if that's the root cause or if it's a red herring.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Jan 30, 2019 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2019 10:38 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

@ Luis Sequeira1, you were absolutely correct, it was a software conflict/error.

I didn't realize these were related, but my computer was also giving me an unusual number of Spinning Beachballs 🌀 for normal use (like switching between apps). Hard drive free space was ok.

So I finally opened Console.app, and saw that Better Touch Tool was constantly crashing with an unhandled exception & relaunching.

I downloaded and updated BTT, after which the copy/paste issue resolved itself, along with the SBBOD's🌀 being eliminated, and my previously snappy performance back to normal.

I Think BTT was crashing shortly after the Mohave upgrade (not 100% sure about that). So make sure to update to the latest BetterTouchTool if you upgrade to Mohave!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2019 10:38 AM in response to demisjohn

Thanks for the suggestions.

@ Luis Sequeira1, you were absolutely correct, it was a software conflict/error.

I didn't realize these were related, but my computer was also giving me an unusual number of Spinning Beachballs 🌀 for normal use (like switching between apps). Hard drive free space was ok.

So I finally opened Console.app, and saw that Better Touch Tool was constantly crashing with an unhandled exception & relaunching.

I downloaded and updated BTT, after which the copy/paste issue resolved itself, along with the SBBOD's🌀 being eliminated, and my previously snappy performance back to normal.

I Think BTT was crashing shortly after the Mohave upgrade (not 100% sure about that). So make sure to update to the latest BetterTouchTool if you upgrade to Mohave!

copy paste loses contents after a few seconds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.