Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No audio on LG display via USB C (Display - LG 29UM69G)

I recently connected my LG 29UM69G monitor to my MacBook Pro 15" 2016 model via usb c cable. Now the monitor doesn't register as a sound output on the Mac. When I connected the same via HDMI, the monitor would show up as a sound output so that I could use it's speakers.

Cable specs are given in this amazon link: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07CRG2BWW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any help would be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15", 10.13

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 12:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 6:29 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The Audio MIDI setup was an eye opener.

But apparently, the issue was that I connected the usb c cable when the Macbook was already powered on. So for some reason, video signal went through just fine, but I had to restart the MacBook and unplug its charger before it recognised the monitor as an audio output.

Did that and now its working without a hitch.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2019 6:29 AM in response to Johnb-one

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The Audio MIDI setup was an eye opener.

But apparently, the issue was that I connected the usb c cable when the Macbook was already powered on. So for some reason, video signal went through just fine, but I had to restart the MacBook and unplug its charger before it recognised the monitor as an audio output.

Did that and now its working without a hitch.

Jan 31, 2019 4:58 PM in response to AkshayMenon

sure. I have an LG Monitor as well, the 43 incher (yeah, I know, haul out the world's tiniest violin for me, right ?) and I had the same initial problem you might have had. that is-LG is kind enough to include a usb-C to A gender changer, but no USB-C cable is included. They throw in an HDMI cable and a full size DisplayPort cable (no miniDisplayPort, though)-not a real deal-breaker, but no usb-C cable, even though that's one of the cables you need to fully use the monitor. Weird, huh ? Apparently it depends on the country you live in, or where you bought the monitor, because in Canada, they don't include it....only in Canada, eh ?? Apparently the USB-C standard does support audio and video, so you'd have to tell your macbook pro to do audio out via the usb port. You could try running Audio MIDI setup which would allow you to set the audio inputs and outputs for your MacBook pro. apparently it's now a digital optical... audio out.....via usb-C. Huh!!!!! That's weird. I've never heard of that before. If you hold down the option key and click on the speaker icon at the top of your screen, it'll show you all audio (sound) inputs and outputs in 1 list. which is kinda handy. So, try changing over to digital audio. The HDMI audio support is built in now, I think, but it didn't used to be, and you'd have a heck of a time getting it working

anyways, that's all I got. Hopefully you can make some sense of what I wrote here

John B

No audio on LG display via USB C (Display - LG 29UM69G)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.