Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring iCloud Backup to a New Phone Without Resetting an Old Phone

Hi everyone,

May I ask if it is possible to restore an iCloud backup to a new phone without resetting the data which exists on an old phone?

I currently have an iPhone 5s with iOS ver 10.2.1 and would like to restore my iCloud backup for this phone to a new iPhone XS without resetting or deleting data off the iPhone 5s.

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who may know about this.

Thanks.

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 9:21 PM

Setting up or restoring one device with a compatible iCloud backup has no effect on any other device. You basically made a "copy" of the old device in iCloud (or iTunes) and that is the backup. It's an entity in and of itself, totally separate from the device that created it. When you then find that copy in iCloud (or iTunes), and "download" it to a new or restored iOS device, it simply copies the data from the backup to that other device. The backup remains in iCloud. So, you could use it to set up a second or third device as well. They would all be separate and independent of eachother.

Best,

GB

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2019 9:21 PM in response to jasonswleong

Setting up or restoring one device with a compatible iCloud backup has no effect on any other device. You basically made a "copy" of the old device in iCloud (or iTunes) and that is the backup. It's an entity in and of itself, totally separate from the device that created it. When you then find that copy in iCloud (or iTunes), and "download" it to a new or restored iOS device, it simply copies the data from the backup to that other device. The backup remains in iCloud. So, you could use it to set up a second or third device as well. They would all be separate and independent of eachother.

Best,

GB

Feb 1, 2019 8:33 AM in response to jasonswleong

OK. Just a note: I can tell you that I have erased and restored to a backup, as well as set up a new device from a backup many, many times. As I stated before, the backup is a separate entity once it has been created. It knows nothing about the device that made the backup. It is not connected to the device that made the backup in any way. It's just a backup in iCloud that any iOS device that is signed into the same iCloud account can likely use it.

Best,

GB

Restoring iCloud Backup to a New Phone Without Resetting an Old Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.