Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still Have Problems Syncing Ringtones - Used Turingtest2's method fully.

I've had no luck syncing ringtones. I did everything Turingtest2 posted. 3 of the ringtones are kind of on and off. Sometimes they will be in black and sync, other times greyed out with the dots. My other ringtones just don't sync period. I don't want to fully delete my phone and restore it. Anything else have for suggestions on how to fix custom ringtones from not syncing properly?

iPhone XS Max, 12

Posted on Jan 31, 2019 11:05 PM

10 replies

Feb 1, 2019 3:48 AM in response to JonK81

I take it you're referring to my advice in Create and manage ringtones in iTunes - Apple Community. I know you say you've tried it all, but does that include the section Removing hidden tones? Are you certain you've created/downloaded valid .m4r files? If you've made your own it is important that they're no longer connected to the iTunes database (step 7 in Create a ringtone in iTunes) on a Mac. It will still think the file is part of the local library and then ignores the request to add to the device.

tt2

Feb 1, 2019 10:34 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes! I removed all the hidden tones. When this started happening (it was when I was restoring my new XS Max from my previous backup) all the ringtones I had were hidden (None showed in the library but they were all there in the phone). I used FunBox as you suggested, removed all the m4r files with random letters, and the plist as well. I did keep the sync folder inside the ringtones folder. I didn't delete that, but you didn't mention to so I left it. As for valid m4r files, yes, most are dated 2013. I've been using the same custom ringtones since then. I'm pretty adept at iPhones. I get a new one EACH year. Last year with the X there were no ringtone issues. This is the first time ever. Like I said, there are 3 of my 8 or so ringtones that will sometimes sync and others not. The remaining 5 are always grayed out with the dots. They never want to sync at all.

This is why I am so confused! I've totally followed what you stated down a tee. I've rebooted when you said to. I don't know what else. My other issue is I don't want to delete and start from scratch. If you can think of ANYTHING I might have missed or forgot, please tell me. But again, I've tried everything you stated. I copied and pasted, I dragged and dropped. Nothing. I did even remake one of the ringtones yesterday just to see if in fact my old ones didn't work properly. But that too failed.

Still Have Problems Syncing Ringtones - Used Turingtest2's method fully.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.