Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not working

Typing search strings into the search window on finder does very little. I can go and pick a document at random, confirm its presence, search for it and it doesn't come up. Spelling is not an issue. The correct folders have been chosen. The functionality is simply not returning results. Previous answers on this site haven't helped....there really seems to be something wrong here.

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Feb 1, 2019 6:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2019 1:10 PM

Did you try rebuilding the spotlight index?

How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies

Feb 21, 2019 12:59 PM in response to Wade4

I also have this problem. The search facility on my Macbook Pro for both spotlight and search in outlook - if I type in a name or words I know exist for an email or document the search results window is completely empty.

Weirdly I can search a document for words successfully.

I have checked spotlight preferences and all is as it should be. Please Mac support or someone in this community who has seen this problem can you assist with this?

Macbook Pro 2016

MacOS Mojove

Version 10.14.3

Feb 22, 2019 1:01 PM in response to leroydouglas

Yes I did and not a thing happened - it did not react in anyway either when I added or deleted my HD or User folder (tried both) to the privacy settings. I also tried quitting in between each step to make sure the computer setting was set.

Tried searching after each step and still cannot search using spotlight or in outlook mail but search in word is working.

Any other ideas?

Thanks Catherine.

Finder not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.