📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos in iMessage not showing up

I went to send photos to my iPad through iMessage and noticed that all of the previous photos in the message thread show up as a white bubble with the file name in the center of it. Clicking on it does nothing either. It will only let me like, dislike etc the files.

In the settings under the Messages storage, it shows I have 34.3 MB of photos and 53.5 MB of GIFs and Stickers but again, doesn't let me view any of them.

I've tried signing out and back in to iMessage, resetting the network setting. I'm not sure what else to try. But any help would be appreciated!

It's an iPad Mini 2 running iOS 11.4

Attached an image to show what is going on.

iPad mini, 11

Posted on Feb 2, 2019 8:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 7:35 AM

Hello rebecka62,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to open older message attachments in threads.

You've done some great troubleshooting so far. I notice these attachments may be from April of 2018; do you see the same behavior with more recent messages as well, or only with older messages?

Were these photos from iCloud Photo Library, or were they stored directly on your device? Are they still in your Photos app, or in iCloud? To check iCloud, you can Use iCloud.com and sign in, and then click Photos.

Also, are you using Messages in iCloud? You can check by tapping Settings > [your name] > iCloud, and then scrolling down to Messages.

If you tap Settings > Messages > Keep Messages, which option is selected?

Also, you mentioned sending photos to your own iPad; what type of device are you sending from? Do you see similar issues in threads where you've sent photos to other people?

I hope this helps get you started.

Take care.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 4, 2019 7:35 AM in response to rebecka62

Hello rebecka62,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. I understand you're unable to open older message attachments in threads.

You've done some great troubleshooting so far. I notice these attachments may be from April of 2018; do you see the same behavior with more recent messages as well, or only with older messages?

Were these photos from iCloud Photo Library, or were they stored directly on your device? Are they still in your Photos app, or in iCloud? To check iCloud, you can Use iCloud.com and sign in, and then click Photos.

Also, are you using Messages in iCloud? You can check by tapping Settings > [your name] > iCloud, and then scrolling down to Messages.

If you tap Settings > Messages > Keep Messages, which option is selected?

Also, you mentioned sending photos to your own iPad; what type of device are you sending from? Do you see similar issues in threads where you've sent photos to other people?

I hope this helps get you started.

Take care.

Feb 4, 2019 3:58 PM in response to rebecka62

Hi rebecka62,

Thanks for the reply. If you're using iOS 11.4 on your iPad, I recommend an update as your next step. Here's How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Bringing your iPad fully up-to-date may help resolve this issue. Once updated, check it out to see this has cleared things up. If not, getting in touch with Apple would be a great next step to look into this further: Contact Apple Support

Have a great night.

Feb 4, 2019 9:54 AM in response to MoonJ.

Yes, the last time I had sent photos to my iPad was in April of 2018. I’ve looked through the photos many times since then so it was only recently that this could have happened. Unfortunately on my iPad I made the mistake of not saving them to my photos yet, which is where my problem comes in. 

I sent them from my phone, which is an iPhone 8 plus. And I have the setting that saves messages forever turned on. When I send photos now they show up fine so it’s just the older ones.

I still have all the photos I sent back in April in my messages on my phone and they’re the only messages that show up in iCloud. So the attachments pre-April is what I’m most concerned about. 

The only thing I’ve used my iPad for recently was reading. I haven’t changed any kind of settings. But I hope this gives more insight! 

Feb 4, 2019 12:08 PM in response to rebecka62

Hello rebecka62,

We appreciate the follow-up information. If you open the Messages thread and then tap the bar at the top, followed by the "i" icon, try checking out the Images and Attachments tabs. Do you see any of these photos showing up here?

Also, to double-check, are you using the same devices now that you used when you originally sent them to the iPad? Or did they originate from a different iPhone?

Cheers.

Photos in iMessage not showing up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.