Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil scratch

After only month of using apple pencil and iPad 6 I discovered, that the display is scratched by my writting (part of word is permanently on display). What is the best way of reclamation when I bought each device from different seller?

iPad, 12

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 3:35 AM

Sorry to hear that you’ve managed to damage your iPad screen with your Apple Pencil. Whilst the screens are remarkably robust, it only takes a particle of grit to be embedded in (or caught beneath) the tip to cause permanent damage.

I very much doubt that you will have any recourse to waranty for the damage. If you puchased AppleCare+ for your iPad you should be able to make a claim for screen damage - subject to an excess/duductable fee. Alternatively, perhaps your home insurance may provide insurance cover.

The best form of defence is always prevention. Personally, when using an Apple Pencil (or other stylus), I always recommend installation of a good quality screen protector - as this is a sacrificial layer that can be easily replaced if damage should occur. Unlike the tip of your finger, where you can feel so something abrasive, when using the Pencil it is very difficult to detect something on the screen that might cause damage before it’s too late.

If you suspect that your Pencil caused the damage, you would be well advised to change the tip. An abrasive particle can embed itself in the soft tip - and continue to cause screen damage with futher use.

Hope this provides you with some useful advice.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2019 3:35 AM in response to RobZu

Sorry to hear that you’ve managed to damage your iPad screen with your Apple Pencil. Whilst the screens are remarkably robust, it only takes a particle of grit to be embedded in (or caught beneath) the tip to cause permanent damage.

I very much doubt that you will have any recourse to waranty for the damage. If you puchased AppleCare+ for your iPad you should be able to make a claim for screen damage - subject to an excess/duductable fee. Alternatively, perhaps your home insurance may provide insurance cover.

The best form of defence is always prevention. Personally, when using an Apple Pencil (or other stylus), I always recommend installation of a good quality screen protector - as this is a sacrificial layer that can be easily replaced if damage should occur. Unlike the tip of your finger, where you can feel so something abrasive, when using the Pencil it is very difficult to detect something on the screen that might cause damage before it’s too late.

If you suspect that your Pencil caused the damage, you would be well advised to change the tip. An abrasive particle can embed itself in the soft tip - and continue to cause screen damage with futher use.

Hope this provides you with some useful advice.

Apple pencil scratch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.