Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing space after deleting a Boot camp partition

OK I've been busy, and slightly incompetent.....after resolving the issues with my 27"iMac, I turned to a late 2012 21.5 imac to clean it up and just have OSX Mojave.

Anyway, it appears after deleting the boot camp partition, I am missing the entire amount that was reserved for it. Unfortunately the diskutil list is complicated and on another computer but I will do my best to summarize:

disk 0 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk2 876.1GB disk0s2

Now, below that is quite a list.

for disk1 (disk Image)

0: GUID_partition_scheme +2.1GB

1: Apple_HFS OS X Base System 2.0GB

disk2 (synthesized)

0: APFS Container Scheme - 876.1 GB disk2

Physical Store disk0s2

1: APFS Volume Preboot 20.5KB disk2s2

2: APFS Volume Recovery 20.5KB disk2s3

2: APFS Volume VM 4.3GB disk2s4

2: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 20.5KB disk2s1

Then there is a bunch of junk after....disk3-disk20 (17 more) disk images just like this, of varying sizes from 500KB to 15MB.

dev/disk3 (disk image)

0: untitled 5.2MB disk3

Clearly there is something majorly glitched. It seems as if the ~120GB from boot camp is hidden/lost in something else but I cannot see where. Is there any way for me to get this space back? I already deleted the boot camp and OSX volumes since I wanted to do a clean boot anyway, but clearly I did something wrong here. The GUID Partition Scheme does seem to show it is a 1TB drive, but I cannot seem to find all the space.

Thanks for anyone's help.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2019 3:36 PM

OK never-mind I just figured it out. I realized I was just viewing Volumes in the Disk Utility instead of All Devices (the View pull-down in the upper left of Disk Utility (I am in internet recovery)).

I successfully erased the HDD and now I have all my 999.86 GB back. I can delete this thread if moderator wants.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 4, 2019 3:36 PM in response to Gregory Kinney

OK never-mind I just figured it out. I realized I was just viewing Volumes in the Disk Utility instead of All Devices (the View pull-down in the upper left of Disk Utility (I am in internet recovery)).

I successfully erased the HDD and now I have all my 999.86 GB back. I can delete this thread if moderator wants.

Missing space after deleting a Boot camp partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.