Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your connection is not private browser errors after Mojave upgrade (And can't connect to App Store)

I upgraded to Mojave and now when I visit certain websites (Facebook as one example) I receive this error:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.facebook.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

www.facebook.com normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to www.facebook.com this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be www.facebook.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit www.facebook.com right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probwww.facebook.com

I tried the tips I found online: Set Date/Time automatically, clear Chrome browsing history/data/cookies/etc. I restarted Chrome and the computer. I can't check my virus software because my IT department has it locked down and they're slow to respond to my plea for help.

I tried Safari and Firefox browsers too BTW and have the same issue.

Also, I can't connect to the App Store anymore either.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Mac Pro, 10.14

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 10:15 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 5, 2019 2:17 PM in response to angwork

Those messages may indicate the presence of a proxy server or VPN preventing the end-to-end security required of many websites.

In other words the message "This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be www.facebook.com, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection" is correct. Attempts to connect to those sites are being intercepted for reasons unknown. It may or may not be nefarious in nature, but that doesn't matter: it's not a secure connection.

I can't check my virus software because my IT department has it locked down and they're slow to respond to my plea for help.

Who owns that Mac, you or your IT department? If you are not its owner, your ability to fix the problem or even use the Mac the way it was designed to be used will be limited, and a Mac afflicted with non-Apple "anti-virus" software will never work properly.

Your connection is not private browser errors after Mojave upgrade (And can't connect to App Store)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.