Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes and music doubled storage

Looking in "about this Mac" in storage, I can see that documents and iTunes take up very similar large storage amounts. When I went to Manage it comes up with my music folder including in the documents storage space. This makes me think that my music has doubled somehow.

But looking at iTunes it says I have 49 GB of music. When I right click on music in finder and select get info it says 49 GB. Inside the music folder is my music as well as the iTunes folder. When I right click on the iTunes folder it says it is only 173 MB.

I definitely don't have 53 GB of documents and I'm certain something is wrong with the music files that they show up twice. I also have all my music on an external hard drive so I can start again but I don't want to because all my playlists will be deleted.

I really need help because I basically have no storage left. I read one article about keeping music on an external hard drive but I couldn't figure that out. If its possible that would be neat because I could free up so much space.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air 13", 10.12

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2019 10:07 PM

One place to get a clue is to use iTunes' menu to do:

iTunes > Preferences > Advanced

Be certain your iTunes library is where you expect, and observe any box that states or suggests "Copy..." and be certain it's set as you wish.

Similar questions

2 replies

itunes and music doubled storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.