Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I reinstall OSX will I lose information I did not back up

I don't want to lose information I have not backed up yet. If I reinstall OX S will I lose that information.

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Feb 6, 2019 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2019 9:48 PM

If it was caused by a software problem, see above.

If it was caused by disk structure damage, you should try repairing it instead of reinstalling the OS.

If it was caused by a hardware problem, you won't be able to reinstall the OS; in many cases, the drive won't appear in the Disk Utility.

If you can access the drive, use the Image or Restore function in the Disk Utility, and copy the files to an external one.

(168396)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2019 9:48 PM in response to Dash208

If it was caused by a software problem, see above.

If it was caused by disk structure damage, you should try repairing it instead of reinstalling the OS.

If it was caused by a hardware problem, you won't be able to reinstall the OS; in many cases, the drive won't appear in the Disk Utility.

If you can access the drive, use the Image or Restore function in the Disk Utility, and copy the files to an external one.

(168396)

If I reinstall OSX will I lose information I did not back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.