Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Devices not connecting to my Apple time capsule network.

New smart devices are not connecting to my Apple time capsule network. I have a good internet connection, and the device works in another location, but wont connect a new Ring doorbell or a Cocoon security cam.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Feb 7, 2019 8:31 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 7, 2019 9:01 AM in response to sarabrigid

If you temporarily disable wireless security on your Time Capsule, can either or both of these devices connect now?

If so, re-enable wireless security. For now I would suggest that you use WPA2 Personal with a temporary password of: 0123456789abcdef0123456789

If both can connect with that password, then I suggest that you use a password that is 16 alphanumeric characters or less that does not include special characters or spaces in it.

Feb 7, 2019 10:08 AM in response to sarabrigid

There are a number of devices that have trouble connecting to a dual band WiFi network that routers like the Time Capsule provides. That being the case, have you assigned a different name to the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks, and "aimed" your Ring and Cocoon devices at the 2.4 GHz signal?

In addition to the comments provided by Tesserax, the actual name of your WiFi network can cause connection problems for some devices, especially if the name of your WiFi network contains special characters like an apostrophe, asterisk, dollar sign, etc.

Good rules of thumb for naming WiFi networks would be.........

Short, no more than 12-16 characters in the name, less is better

No special characters in the name of the WiFi network.....use only normal letters and numbers

No blank spaces in the name of the WiFi network......some devices can pick up a blank space as a - (dash).

Feb 9, 2019 10:20 PM in response to sarabrigid

One more thing to try is fixed channel on 2.4ghz.. I have seen this work.

Also the firmware you use has changed somewhat with the WPA2 bug.. That caused issues with some devices..

So downgrade the firmware to 7.6.8 or 7.7.8 depending on the model.. and I would do a full factory reset then configure using the short names as per the other guys posts.

Apple wireless cannot be too different from everyone else.. otherwise nothing would work across brands which wireless standards are there to prevent.

Try using WPS which is available in the Airport Utility to connect printers.. but really is to connect any WPS device.

Devices not connecting to my Apple time capsule network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.