Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Mid 2015 black and yellow checkered screen problem

So I bought this iMac in early 2016 and it has had absolutely no problems til today in Feb 2019. Randomly my screen turned into this black and yellow checkered display. I waited and nothing changed so I decided to go for the easiest approach and unplug the power cord. Started up the iMac and it seems fine now but I'm worried perhaps the screen might be damaged in some capacity. I don't use the iMac abnormally. The only thing that might be is that I shut down the iMac not that frequently maybe once a month - in other words I am always switching it to sleep mode.

Any help with this would be much appreciated.

iMac with Retina 5K display, 10.14

Posted on Feb 7, 2019 10:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2019 10:44 AM

Hopefully, paulmin95, this was just a random glitch, and, fingers crossed it won't happen again for a long time. what you did is to reset the smc/pmu which seems to have taken care of the problem, knock on wood. You could also try zapping the pram--on startup, hold down the apple, option, p and r keys all together for 3 chimes, then let go of them and let the iMac boot up as per usual. with the first thing you did and this 2nd thing you should be okay. BUT if doing both of those doesn't fix it, then you might have a hardware problem. You might have to make an appointment with your local Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store, and take in your iMac and see what they have to say. The appointment, and evaluation are free. After that, I can't say. You could also try your local AASP (apple authorized service place) but that's IF it happens again, at least more than once

cheers !

John B

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2019 10:44 AM in response to paulmin95

Hopefully, paulmin95, this was just a random glitch, and, fingers crossed it won't happen again for a long time. what you did is to reset the smc/pmu which seems to have taken care of the problem, knock on wood. You could also try zapping the pram--on startup, hold down the apple, option, p and r keys all together for 3 chimes, then let go of them and let the iMac boot up as per usual. with the first thing you did and this 2nd thing you should be okay. BUT if doing both of those doesn't fix it, then you might have a hardware problem. You might have to make an appointment with your local Genius Bar at your nearest Apple Store, and take in your iMac and see what they have to say. The appointment, and evaluation are free. After that, I can't say. You could also try your local AASP (apple authorized service place) but that's IF it happens again, at least more than once

cheers !

John B

Feb 7, 2019 10:51 AM in response to Johnb-one

John B,

Thank you so much for the quick comment. If it does happen again I guess I would have to go to the genius bar, which sucks because carrying this thing won't be easy! Honestly I'm a bit worried it could happen again because I can't seem to find anyone else with the same exact problem. So the command + option + p + r whilst holding the power button behind the screen?

iMac Mid 2015 black and yellow checkered screen problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.