Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I save a PDF as read only on Mac?

Hello. Is there a way to save a file as a PDF so it doesn't open up online or so it can't be edited? I created a powerpoint on my macbook pro. I then took a screen shot of the presentation and saved it as a pdf. But when you open it, it can be edited plus it shows all the side bars and tools. I only want it to show what I captured when I used command-shift-4. I even tried copying and pasting it to a word doc then saved it as a pdf. But when you open it, it's still opens online with all the tool bars and it can still be edited.

MacBook Pro 15", 10.11

Posted on Feb 7, 2019 7:18 PM

10 replies

Feb 9, 2019 9:41 AM in response to Bvwilliams

Just in case it is helpful to you, there is another option for screen capture which allows you to select a rectangular of the screen that you need rather than the whole screen.

It rather tricky to master because of needing 4 fingers but I use it many times a day when reporting issues for my clients and you soon get used to it.

So...

CTRL+cmd+Shift+4

This is helpful if you want to use areas of the screen for PPT. of course you can crop images in PPT too.

Or we use Pixelmater if we need to reduce the no of pixels (resolution) or convert PDF to jpg or png.

Feb 10, 2019 5:56 AM in response to babowa

... Maybe but adding the CTRL key does save a lot of time, for me at any rate.

When I take a screen shot I will usually want to use it right away and therefore adding the CTRL key will copy the screen shot to the clipboard.

This means that I can start a new email or continue with an existing email and just enter cmd+v to paste the newly created screen capture into whatever I am working on.

In this example it would be possible to do a cmd+CTRL+Shift+4 and then toggle to the Powerpoint and press cmd+v (paste).

This approach is so much faster than having to go to the folder where the screen capture is saved and then copy it and paste it or path to it from an email to PPT.

Without CTRL it will save the capture to Desktop.

I usually do not need to keep the captures for later reference and it saves the needles accumulation of captures clogging up the desktop.

How do I save a PDF as read only on Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.