Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac display/video issues after Mojave Upgrade (jumpy screen and weird displays)

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)

Upgraded to Mojave and get weird display issues. weird triangular errors in display. stuff jumps and moves around. It is bad on desktop screen, but if I maximize an app, it appears some better. It seems to change with mouse movement or clicks.... Almost like it is having trouble displaying the pointer and it causes an error in the graphics... (it took me 4 times as long to create this post because I had to keep changing screens to be able to read anything)

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2019 3:47 PM

Did some more testing and it appears to be related to the dynamic background "feature"...

I booted into safe mode and changed a setting, then rebooted over and over and that new feature seems to be the culprit. With Dynamic Background set to STILL, it appears to work normally and have no video ghosts, errors, blocks, or anything now.....

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2019 3:47 PM in response to chunky-b

Did some more testing and it appears to be related to the dynamic background "feature"...

I booted into safe mode and changed a setting, then rebooted over and over and that new feature seems to be the culprit. With Dynamic Background set to STILL, it appears to work normally and have no video ghosts, errors, blocks, or anything now.....

Feb 8, 2019 3:41 PM in response to den.thed

I changed a few settings and it seemed to get worse.

Booted into safe mode and it looks normal.

Tried to log into "guest" profile and it won't display enough for me to even get fully logged in. Before, I could scroll "Screens" to clear and make it refresh. On the guest profile without multiple screens enabled, there is no way to get it to refresh and be readable....

Is there a way to force an update for the video driver? or that likely an issue? I'm at a loss and about ready to TImemachine back to the previous setup cause this is unusable.....

Feb 15, 2019 6:33 AM in response to chunky-b

Okay, so NOT solved.... Still get errors with screen refresh. I often must move a window to get the contents of that window to refresh.

If I reboot or shutdown/startup, it often won't go past the login screen. It locks up and weird screen display happens.

Still trying random display settings, backgrounds, etc. It is definitely something to do with screen refresh. I see remnants of old elements, thinks out of scale and out of place, some look like they wrap off the screen and appear backwards... After about 5 reboots I finally at least got logged in...

Imac display/video issues after Mojave Upgrade (jumpy screen and weird displays)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.