You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EXTERNAL DISK TOO SLOW

Hello

So I've copied all my Logic Pro files over to an external WD My Passport external HD and my software over to a different WD My passport external HD. Both are 2TB and have  at least 1.5TB free space. I am running an oldish IMAC 2012 but have 32GB memory. Having done this last week to try and speed up and avoid crashes I am constantly getting disk too slow/ system error and now "the hard drive was ejected incorrectly' error. I have backed up all my files but I'm concerned Im going to lose a hard drive and am no ICT expert. Both are attached to the MAC via a USB port as I don't have enough inputs. I don't think my projects are too heavy (maybe wrong) and am just seeking some advice as I can no longer record, listen to or bounce down any projects and have two releases on their way. I use Clean My Mac, keep everything up to date and have no 'clutter' so not sure how to proceed. 

Should I drag the project I am working on back to the desktop while working on it? 

Should the Logic Pro Files be on the same HD as the software?

I've screen shotted a typical project with plug ins as maybe I am running some heavy ones. If so, again any suggestions on lightening the load. Thank you

Posted on Feb 9, 2019 4:58 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Feb 9, 2019 10:57 AM in response to octopi

Thank you for the response. I have mentioned what external hard drives they are and how they are connected.

2TB WESTERN DIGITAL MY PASSPORT HDD - one for Logic Pro projects and one for sound libraries . Both attached by USB to 2012 iMac 2.9 quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (I forgot to paste this earlier sorry). Thank you for the advice octopi

I cannot find the WD rpm and as I have two external hard drives which are the same I don’t know which one is causing the problem - I assume it’s the one with the Logic Pro projects on as this is the one ‘ ejecting’

I was always under the impression the sample/ sound library disk needed to be faster/ ssd so I’m just not sure how to isolate the issue and which HDD to change if I have to change one

Thank you

Feb 10, 2019 10:06 AM in response to Pancenter

Hello

Thank you for the response

Yes they are MAC OS Extended. Im wondering if I should change around my USB connections- would that make any difference. This is my current set up.

I have 4 USB ports on my MAC and don't know which devices I should run straight into my Mac and which I should use through a port- any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Platform M - running straight into MAC

Platform X- running straight into MAC

Console 1- running straight into MAC

USB Port- using slot in MAC

Arturia MIDI keyboard- running into USB HUB

HDD with music software/ sample libraries- running into USB HUB

HDD with Logic Pro files - running into USB HUB

ILOK2 - running into USB HUB

Thank you all in advance

EXTERNAL DISK TOO SLOW

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.