Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen on new 2018 MacBook Pro

I'm having the same(?) issue evafromegypt posted, in which a brand new 2018 Macbook Pros screen is staying black with only the esc button lit up on the Touch Bar. For me this started 2 days after receiving it. I'd done little more than install Adobe CC. The display IS displaying, it just stays black, with faint ghosts of the apple logo and eventually the language setup menu. Closing the lid and immediately reopening it gets the screen to light up, showing the language setup menu.

I took it to the Apple Store without trying any of those tips posted in response to Eva's request for help because I figure if a fresh-out-of-the-box Mac is acting up to that degree, resetting PRAM isn't going to help. The Apple Genius net-booted, everything tested fine, she reset PRAM on reboot and and the user selection screen loaded as normal. Problem solved! Until it happened again the next day. And the next. Does anyone know of a real solution, or should I just send it back? Is anyone else experiencing this?

MacBook Pro 15”, 10.14

Posted on Feb 9, 2019 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 9:23 AM

Resetting NVAM ("PRAM") and SMC didn't work, but since booting into recovery mode (cmd+r on boot) and reinstalling the OS the problem hasn't recurred. For the record, my OS was already at version 10.14.3 (18D109) the last time the problem occurred, so it seems unlikely that it was the update that fixed it. Fingers crossed.

Side Effect: This also seems to have fixed a bug where the app store told me I had apps to "adopt", but it wouldn't let me do that when I logged in.

Now I just need to figure out why USB3 flash drives that can hit 300mbps are now limited to 12mbps. And how to regain proper superuser privileges to delete apps I don't want.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2019 9:23 AM in response to ChangeMachine

Resetting NVAM ("PRAM") and SMC didn't work, but since booting into recovery mode (cmd+r on boot) and reinstalling the OS the problem hasn't recurred. For the record, my OS was already at version 10.14.3 (18D109) the last time the problem occurred, so it seems unlikely that it was the update that fixed it. Fingers crossed.

Side Effect: This also seems to have fixed a bug where the app store told me I had apps to "adopt", but it wouldn't let me do that when I logged in.

Now I just need to figure out why USB3 flash drives that can hit 300mbps are now limited to 12mbps. And how to regain proper superuser privileges to delete apps I don't want.

Feb 9, 2019 10:40 AM in response to ChangeMachine

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD)

"Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party.” [Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – Accessory - For Apple and Beats Branded Products Only.]

Feb 13, 2019 12:23 PM in response to ChangeMachine

Open the Terminal. Enter "sudo su". It may respond that you do not have su privileges. That means you have to disable the SIP which is not recommended. You should not need su privileges to remove apps you don't want. If you do then see if you have an uninstaller for them. There is a reason that users do not have privileges to remove stuff on their own. It risks goofing up the OS.

Feb 13, 2019 6:52 PM in response to ChangeMachine

Apple Support Communities is a User-to-User support forum. If other users can not help you think of a fix, No further help is likely to be forthcoming using this medium. There are no standard mechanisms for escalating problems to Apple Support from here, and Apple Engineering and Marketing Movers and Shakers do NOT monitor these forums looking for trends and outstanding issues.

No ticket numbers or case numbers are issued, and no one is assuring that each and every problem is resolved.

DO NOT "wait for Apple to provide a fix". Unless and until a large number of users present their issues through standard problem-reporting channels, Apple does not know there is a problem, and is NOT working on a fix. Being selfish is the best policy, getting yours fixed helps everyone.

If advice supplied here does not provide resolution, You must take additional steps to resolve your issues. Contact Apple support directly through one of these methods:

• contact telephone support (free for 90 days with a new Mac, of for three years with AppleCare purchase)

• make an appointment at the genius bar at an Apple-owned store for hardware evaluation and advice (free anytime, but after five years parts may no longer be available).

• initiate an Online chat 

• Visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider (there may be an "evaluation fee", but if they perform any service for a fee, ask for a rebate of the evaluation fee).

Black screen on new 2018 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.