Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27 Late 2013 and Razer Core X eGPU Dilemma

Hey Everybody!

I've got an iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) and I'm thinking about purchasing the following eGPU for it - Razer Core X - with this video card - AMD RX Vega 56 or 64, 8GB - to boost up my work/game performance on Mac OS and Windows 10 via Bootcamp - not looking into Nvidia Cards, since they're not currently supported in Mac OS.

The problem is, I was not able to find anyone on the net who's done the same and verified that it will work as expected. I could've easily tested it on my end, but by purchasing smth that will not work - is not the best feeling.

So my question is, has anyone, across this amazing Apple Community had a similar experience and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for anyone, who'll reply to this post!

Kind Regards,

Alex

P.S. If needed, my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) specs:

• 3,5 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 32 ГБ 1600 MHz DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 МБ
  • 27-inch (2560 x 1440)
  • Fusion Drive 3TB
  • macOS Mojave, 10.14.3

iMac 27", 10.14

Posted on Feb 9, 2019 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2019 12:07 PM

Sad Update: For anyone looking to add an eGPU to your Macs with Thunderbolt 2 Ports - unfortunately, that would not be possible, even with the Thunderbolt 2/3 Adapter from Apple - got an official answer from OWC.

7 replies

Feb 9, 2019 11:49 AM in response to BachyWachy

If you want to connect a Thunderbolt 3 device to a Thunderbolt 2 device you will need the adapter. Note, in the picture I show, TB2 and TB3 have different shaped connectors. (Ignore the X, best picture I could find)

Also, TB2 is slower than TB3 so you wouldn't get the full speed that you would get plugging the TB3 cable into a TB3 port.

Feb 9, 2019 11:42 AM in response to archieny

Hey archieny!

Thanks for replying to my post.

Quick question - do you think it may be a problem that the Razer Core X is connected via Thunderbolt 3 cable and my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) only has Thunderbolt 2 ports? Apple does offer Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter but not sure if the performance will be affected by this or not.

Kind Regards,

Alex

iMac 27 Late 2013 and Razer Core X eGPU Dilemma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.