Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The following disk images couldn’t be opened

When I try to connect to the time capsule to manually access the time machine back up I am getting an error message: The following disk images couldn’t be opened.

I tried disconnecting and reconnecting.

The time capsule is set up as the time machine disk drive and is also set up on airport utility properly.

Posted on Feb 10, 2019 7:27 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 11, 2019 8:38 AM in response to miyalung

Yes, this is the sparse bundle of the same Mac. The Mac was recently erased and was set up as new. I copied the user folder and recreated the account to get the files.

I will need to run migration assistant to get just the apps, is that right?

That is correct. Typically, when you erase, and then, restore macOS on a drive, you would Migration Assistant to restore your apps/data from a Time Machine backup.

Ref:

Feb 10, 2019 9:54 PM in response to miyalung

Are you trying to access the sparsebundle that the computer owns.. or is it from another computer?

Apple greatly increased security in later OS.. sierra and particularly high sierra to prevent access.. I would suggest you simply do not have permissions to open it unless the backup was created on the computer you are using.

To get files from different backup you need to use migration assistant.

If this is your own computer's backup, then tell us if Time Machine is still successfully using the TC to backup??

Feb 11, 2019 1:12 PM in response to miyalung

Just to add to Tesserax.. when you wipe and reload the OS on a computer you have created a new computer.. Your Mac no longer has ownership of the previous backup.

Migration Assistant then allows you to move your files and settings and apps to the "new" computer.

Hmmm.. when you say you recreated the account.. that may not be the best way to do things.

Migration of user files and settings will recreate the user on the computer.. if you have already created a user of the same name, then migration assistant will need to change the name..

I have not done a migration for a while.. especially using the more recent OS.. so read carefully the info Tesserax has given references to.

Also although old this info is still useful.

http://www.baligu.com/pondini/OSX/MigrateLion.html

Feb 11, 2019 1:27 PM in response to miyalung

When I try to connect to the time capsule to manually access the time machine back up I am getting an error message: The following disk images couldn’t be opened.

Since you have a "new" Mac, Time Machine has to index all the data on the initial backup. That may take a few days as the process is slow and runs in the background.

Try restarting everything in a few days to see if the sparsebundle can be accessed at that time.

The following disk images couldn’t be opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.