You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for power cord/brick for apple designed powered speakers M6082 made in 1993

Hello,

For nostalgia sake I would like to resurrect those old speakers. I suspect it's the power cord/brick because it won't turn on. It appears I am not easily able to find a replacement for it. However, I just sent some pics to a few online electronics stores hoping to find a replacement. Does anyone know where I can buy one and at which price?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

Posted on Feb 10, 2019 9:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 1:26 PM

Those speakers use a 15-volt, 1-Amp DC power supply that has a Sony type barrel plug on the end. A Sony plug has a center pin in it (as shown here), that inserts into a mating sleeve in the device's power port. Most devices are the opposite, having a power port with the center pin and a power supply plug that has a small diameter sleeve in the center. Assuming that the dimensions are correct, you could buy a Sony power supply (any voltage) having the correct type/size plug and remove it along with a reasonable length of wire still attached. Get a 15-volt, 1-Amp DC power supply (many Altec Lansing speakers use that) and attach (solder) the short section of wire with the Sony plug, so that the plug's center pin is connected to the DC power supply's positive output (typically it's the center sleeve, but not always). The polarity is indicated on the power supply label. On the Apple Design speakers' power supply, the center pin is positive and the outer barrel is negative.

21 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2019 1:26 PM in response to Macs Are War Horses

Those speakers use a 15-volt, 1-Amp DC power supply that has a Sony type barrel plug on the end. A Sony plug has a center pin in it (as shown here), that inserts into a mating sleeve in the device's power port. Most devices are the opposite, having a power port with the center pin and a power supply plug that has a small diameter sleeve in the center. Assuming that the dimensions are correct, you could buy a Sony power supply (any voltage) having the correct type/size plug and remove it along with a reasonable length of wire still attached. Get a 15-volt, 1-Amp DC power supply (many Altec Lansing speakers use that) and attach (solder) the short section of wire with the Sony plug, so that the plug's center pin is connected to the DC power supply's positive output (typically it's the center sleeve, but not always). The polarity is indicated on the power supply label. On the Apple Design speakers' power supply, the center pin is positive and the outer barrel is negative.

Feb 11, 2019 8:10 AM in response to Macs Are War Horses

Welcome!

"Where can I get..." questions are more effectively answered if we know roughly where you are. These are international forums and it does you little good if we recommend a source that won't ship to your location. No towns or addresses, please--just a country usually works.

For older items it is often as cheap to rebuy the original product to get the part you need. Used computer gear is worth more parted out than in one piece. In the US, when I've needed really old Apple stuff, eBay seems have something more often than not. See this: ebay search for "Apple M6082

If you are looking for the PS to keep nice old gear in service, I applaud you. If you only need sound, a new entry-level speaker set that goes on sale every other weekend at the office superstore may be cheaper in the long run.

Feb 11, 2019 8:32 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hi IdrisSeabright,

Thanks for trying to help, but I am trying to stay away from 'used" as far as buying a new used set A power brick that old my not last too long, so I would be out 60 or 70 bucks. It is rather expensive too. I figure I would have better luck trying to replace the power brick new. It should last longer I would think? Also, a 2019 powered speaker can probably do more at that price.

After pricing a work around I may abandon the idea to? I don't know. I'm just checking into it. Thanks again!

Feb 11, 2019 8:43 PM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan,

You're right about fixing as opposed to workable used. However, I don't want to spend a whole lot on a power cord/brick that isn't going to last a while. After asking around I may abandon the idea if it costs too much to replace the power cord.I just thought it would be cool to use them again. I did do a search on Ebay. It appears to expensive to get comparing them to some that have been created in 2019. Thanks.

Feb 11, 2019 8:43 PM in response to Macs Are War Horses

You still haven't told us which country.

In the USA garage sales are pretty common in summer. You can get bricks for almost nothing or often free. I have a medium size box in the basement full of various power bricks I have picked up in garage sales or from old things I have recycled and it isn't unusual I have one already when I get some device which needs a power supply.

Feb 12, 2019 3:23 PM in response to Jeff

Jeff,

You were extremely helpful! I contacted Parts Express (https://www.parts-express.com) with your advice and they told me just what I needed to get the job done! I don't know if links are allowed on this foruhttps://www.parts-express.com) and will find out. If they aren't allowed then I apologize and will never do it again! I am excited, because it isn't always the power cord I was told. The parts you told me to get are under $20.00. (unless I buy a crimping tool) I can live with that if it doesn't work!

-Replacement AC Power Adapter for Amazon Echo 15 VDC 1.4A 1.35 x 3.5mm Plug 

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-100-240V-Switching-Converter-Plug%EF%BC%886-5Ft%EF%BC%89/dp/B06W57Y7YT/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZB1SPJWE8248GQG6SRY9  $8.99

On Ebay

6.0*4.4mm Male Plug Right Angle DC Power Supply Adapter Cable For Sony Fujitsu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-0-4-4mm-Male-Plug-Right-Angle-DC-Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-For-Sony-Fujitsu/253999211625 US $2.11

Insulated Butt Splice Crimp Terminal Connector Red (22-16) 100 Pcs. 

Brand:Parts Express|Part # 095-550 $4.98

Thanks so much,

I'll keep you ALL posted.

Feb 12, 2019 3:25 PM in response to Macs Are War Horses

Jeff,

You were extremely helpful! I contacted Parts Express (https://www.parts-express.com) with your advice and they told me just what I needed to get the job done! I don't know if links are allowed on this forum https://www.parts-express.com) and will find out. If they aren't allowed then I apologize and will never do it again! I am excited, because it isn't always the power cord I was told. The parts you told me to get are under $20.00. (unless I buy a crimping tool) I can live with that if it doesn't work!

-Replacement AC Power Adapter for Amazon Echo 15 VDC 1.4A 1.35 x 3.5mm Plug 

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-100-240V-Switching-Converter-Plug%EF%BC%886-5Ft%EF%BC%89/dp/B06W57Y7YT/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_23_bs_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=ZB1SPJWE8248GQG6SRY9  $8.99

On Ebay

6.0*4.4mm Male Plug Right Angle DC Power Supply Adapter Cable For Sony Fujitsu

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-0-4-4mm-Male-Plug-Right-Angle-DC-Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-For-Sony-Fujitsu/253999211625 US $2.11

Insulated Butt Splice Crimp Terminal Connector Red (22-16) 100 Pcs. 

Brand:Parts Express|Part # 095-550 $4.98

Thanks so much,

I'll keep you ALL posted.

Feb 13, 2019 4:42 PM in response to Macs Are War Horses

Check "You Do It" electronics.

They sell power supplies of all kinds.

Whenever you need to find a power source for something check the label on the device.

All electric devices that plug it are required by law to have a label telling what kind of power they use.

You need to get AC/DC, Voltage, and cycles correct.

You need to have one that will supply a minimum of the requires amperage.

More is okay but will usually just be larger and more expensive.

The trick is to get the plug or connector correct.

The labels do not tell you the type or size or the plug.

But the little lines on the label, the " --Cº-- " sort of thing

will tell you if the center pin is + or - .

Feb 14, 2019 10:37 AM in response to Macs Are War Horses

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your good advice, leads and Jeff for the specs. I decided to order a used power cord only one from Ebay at almost $30.00. I might still try to put one together for the future though. It might be fun!

My first thought when ordering from Ebay was that I don't know how long I will be able to use a cord that was from 1993. It might not be worth the money. So I wanted to build a new one, but it's a bit confusing as to what parts exactly I might need and I would need to modify the cord too, which I don't do too often......I still might put one together though. I was also told by someone who has retired from doing this kind of thing that it might not be the power brick to. It could be other things inside. My spidey sense tells me it probably is. The speaker is totally dead! LOL. I really don't remember exactly what happened to it, but it might have been at the same time I had lost some other electronics due to a power surge from a big storm. Or, I remember having to get my stereo fixed years ago and they said. "I overloaded the circuits by connecting to many things at the same time." LOL. I've had the stereo since the 90's too.

I will try the cord from Ebay. Their is a return policy if it doesn't power up. If it powers up hopefully I'll get a few years out of it. Like I had mentioned in my subject for this post I just wanted to take a stroll down memory lane by using them. In the 90's they also had a nice punch to them to.

The power brick is scheduled to arrive on Tues. Feb. 19th. I will keep you updated.... I really wish apple wouldn't make things specific to them. I realize this forces you to buy their stuff, but when it becomes no longer supported what are you to do? Become an expert in computers to once again be able to use it? I realize this is the hardware end.

THANK YOU ALL!

Frank

Feb 14, 2019 11:49 PM in response to Macs Are War Horses

Good luck with the power supply you've ordered. Sorry — after re-reading your initial post, I realize that you still have the original power supply. As far as troubleshooting goes, did you check the cable that goes to the speaker and made sure that it isn't damaged, like a cut through the insulation? If it's in good condition, you could eliminate the guesswork and test your power supply's output with a voltmeter. If you can't borrow one, perhaps a local electronics repair shop would test it for you at little or no cost. With the power supply plugged into an A/C receptacle, touch the red (+) lead of the voltmeter to the center pin in the plug and the black (-) lead to the outer barrel. The meter should indicate 15 volts DC output. If it's substantially less or dead, it needs to be replaced. Having the original power supply with the correct Sony-type plug will make it easier for you to create a replacement, if ever needed. You only need to buy a 15-volt DC power supply with a 1-Amp output (minimally). If your old supply is no good, you can cut off the entire cable with plug that goes to the speaker and solder or splice it to the replacement power supply, positive to positive and negative to negative. It's imperative that you know which is which or you can ruin the circuit board very quickly. I understand your desire to get the speakers working, but as you wrote, it's possible that the circuit board in the speaker is bad. Hopefully, the power supply will do the trick.

Feb 16, 2019 10:26 AM in response to Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks again! You touched on something. You talked about going to an electronics store to test it. I miss Radio Shack. LOL. They would have tested it I'm sure. And if one of their associates was on top of things they might have helped me by soldering it together. Many years ago they did. I went in when their weren't many people in the store, so he made one. This was before they came out with already made modified cables that you can buy......I don't know about them online though. I got an email telling me they don't carry the type of power cord (one of them) at this time. I don't have a voltmeter or can't find the one my uncle gave me as a child, so I'm out of options that way. I may take a look next week as I am on vacation.....the little boy in me still wants to do this, but the adult is being practical. LOL.

At first I thought this power cord was replaceable then I thought I could just take two existing ones and connect them together then I found out I had to solder them together, but had to make sure it was with the right plug which is confusing. It got complicated fast! LOL. I'm at a point where if the new/used cord works for a while I'll be happy, if not, I tried. Their are so many new things on the market that I'm sure are better, so I'll go that route after this determination. I wanted to resurrect them so I could reminisce the past, but if I can't, that's ok too.

Thank you to ALL for helping me on this journey. Especially Jeff! I think it's supposed to arrive mid week next week ,so I'll let you know when I get a chance to plug it in.

Thanks,

Frank

Feb 17, 2019 3:46 PM in response to Macs Are War Horses

Hi Everyone,

The power cord arrived earlier than expected. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work. I am a bit suspicious that something might be wrong with the input jack to the power source of the speaker. It easily comes out. I don't remember it being that way. I plan on taking a closer look to see if I'm plugging it in wrong, but I don't think that is possible. It's just a power cord.

I'm thinking of getting a usb type powered speaker type device that will over ride the new Imacs that require you to plug and unplug your sound when choosing between internal or external speakers. Any suggestions? I'm hoping to get some at around $50.00 that could pack a punch!

Thanks Everybody!

Frank

Feb 18, 2019 3:15 PM in response to Allan Jones

Allan,

What you say is true, but I guess I wanted to get around paying the price for a full set of the speaker system. I would have then thought I could buy a new set that is up to date and better with that money. I plan to work with it some more and if not, send the cord back and buy a new system. Or, try what I had mentioned on another post where I might use just the speakers if that's possible?

Thanks to you and everyone for your help!

Frank

Looking for power cord/brick for apple designed powered speakers M6082 made in 1993

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.