Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Microsoft 2011 With macOS Mojave

I updated my software to Mojave and now my Microsoft programs no longer work. Is there a way to fix this?

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 2:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 2:42 PM

Microsoft never tested Office 2011 for Mac with either High Sierra or Mojave, and now that Office 2011 for Mac is a retired product, if anything goes wrong, no fixes will be forthcoming. As does Microsoft, I recommend upgrading to Office 2016 or 2019 for Mac.

Office 2011 for Mac ended with version 14.7.7. If you are using an earlier revision, update through AutoUpdate. Because Office 2011 for Mac installs fonts and other dregs in System locations, these may have been stepped on during the upgrade to Mojave, and it may require reinstallation, and the mentioned update.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2019 2:42 PM in response to StephJKing

Microsoft never tested Office 2011 for Mac with either High Sierra or Mojave, and now that Office 2011 for Mac is a retired product, if anything goes wrong, no fixes will be forthcoming. As does Microsoft, I recommend upgrading to Office 2016 or 2019 for Mac.

Office 2011 for Mac ended with version 14.7.7. If you are using an earlier revision, update through AutoUpdate. Because Office 2011 for Mac installs fonts and other dregs in System locations, these may have been stepped on during the upgrade to Mojave, and it may require reinstallation, and the mentioned update.

Feb 13, 2019 5:12 AM in response to lionel60

If you recall, Office 2011 for Mac was continuously updated until just before it was retired. No differently, Microsoft continues to update Office 2016 for Mac with patches and new feature support. Just the typical evolution of Microsoft software.

Microsoft has stated that they will be retiring Office 2016 for Mac in Oct. 2013. Not that far away, so strategically, you may want Office 365 subscription to transition to Office 2019 without paying an upgrade fee that the single-purchase version would incur.

Feb 13, 2019 6:59 AM in response to lionel60

I used Office 2016 since the day it was released. Other than an early bug that caused it to frequently come up asking you to sign in - again - it ran just fine. So I have no idea what you mean by "horror".

All complex software is "under construction". That's why there are updates, such as to macOS itself. I'm not clear why you think this is exclusively a Microsoft thing.

Office 2016, for all intents and purposes, is dead. You can still buy it and MS is still supporting it with updates, but why would you want it now that Office 2019 is out? Per federal regulations, paid perpetual license software cannot gain new, significant features. Only performance improvements and bug fixes. Otherwise, it must be released as a new paid version. Hence, Office 2016 will never see any additional features. Those that were ready to incorporate were all added to Office 2019. It, in turn, will never get anything but bug fixes and performance updates from here on out.

Office 365 is different. By being subscription software, MS can add new features to it whenever they want, just as Adobe does with the CC Suite. You're essentially paying for a new license every month.

On top of all of that, except for feature limitations in the perpetual license versions of Office; 2016, 2019 and 365 are all the same app. There's nothing to transition to, other than a newer version that will have more features. Office 365 will always have the most and current feature additions.

The current version of Office 2016 is 16.16.1. Office 2019 started at 16.17. MS actually goofed and had released 16.17 as an Office 2016 update. I applied those and then the 2016 apps kept asking me to sign in, refusing to accept my 2016 credentials. Turned out those were the 2019 installer files that were just about to be released. Within a day or so, MS pulled the 16.17 "updates" that Office 2016 thought were for itself. I had to restore my last Office 2016 backups, which of course then worked.

If you need Office, purchase either 365, or the perpetual license 2019.

Feb 13, 2019 8:58 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Sorry, I've tried Office 365 not Office 2016. I've bought a family licence but it was simply impossible to use VBA. Just an exemple :

Sub Move()

ActiveWindow.Left = ActiveWindow.Left + 100

End Sub

This simple macro didn't worked on Office 365 for Mac, the window didn't move, but run fine on a PC.

It was impossible to create UserForms on a Mac.

It was also impossible to create buttons menu to handle VBA functions since menus are gone. To do that, it is necessary to use a PC application. So I've developped VBA macros on a PC but they didn't work on a Mac even with adaptations specific to the Mac.

Resigned, I've switched back to Office 2011 six monthe ago.

Microsoft 2011 With macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.