Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

instller cant make "C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\Quicktime

My girlfriends computer (Inspiron 1440; Windows 7) was running iTunes fine for awhile. the upon an update it started to get the 2330 error. a disk check worked once, but it soon reverted back to the 2330 error. so here we were unable to install or uninstall iTunes + QT. upon the advice of another post we got a 3rd party uninstaller (Revo Uninstall Pro) and successfully (it seems) uninstalled iTunes + QT. then when we tried to run the installer again we received this error: "an error occurred while attemping to create the directory: "C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\Quicktime"<version#>. I'm no noob when it comes to trouble shooting computers and using the internet and forums for problem solving (however i haven't been in the windows world since XP), but i'm finding little to no info on this issue. Some of the only things i have found suggest permission issue, but it's running under the Admin with the UAC off.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated on this seemingly obscure issue.

thanks in advance

MacBook Pr0 2.33 intel, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 2:22 PM

"an error occurred while attemping to create the directory: "C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\Quicktime"<version#>.

I'm suspecting disk/file damage again, as per the the 2330, rocklebee.

If a disk check isn't cleaning that up, the following workaround might help.

First we'll need to adjust some view settings. (I think ProgramData might be hidden by default on Windows 7.)

1. From the Start menu, click Open.
2. In the Organize menu, click Folder and Search Options.
3. Click the View tab.
4. In the "Advanced settings" pane under "Hidden files and folders" make sure that the "Show hidden files and folders" option is selected.
5. Click OK.

Now, in Computer open your C drive.
Open the ProgramData folder.
Open the AppleComputer folder.

Attempt to rename the Installer cache folder *Installer CacheOLD.*

If you can rename her, reboot the PC and try another install. Does it go through properly again?
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2010 2:22 PM in response to rocklebee

"an error occurred while attemping to create the directory: "C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\Quicktime"<version#>.

I'm suspecting disk/file damage again, as per the the 2330, rocklebee.

If a disk check isn't cleaning that up, the following workaround might help.

First we'll need to adjust some view settings. (I think ProgramData might be hidden by default on Windows 7.)

1. From the Start menu, click Open.
2. In the Organize menu, click Folder and Search Options.
3. Click the View tab.
4. In the "Advanced settings" pane under "Hidden files and folders" make sure that the "Show hidden files and folders" option is selected.
5. Click OK.

Now, in Computer open your C drive.
Open the ProgramData folder.
Open the AppleComputer folder.

Attempt to rename the Installer cache folder *Installer CacheOLD.*

If you can rename her, reboot the PC and try another install. Does it go through properly again?

Jul 11, 2010 3:37 PM in response to b noir

thank you very much for your reply.

So progress has been made. i renamed the Installer Cache folder per your suggestion and the install went much further, until it hit another snag. this error was

"error writing to file: C:\Program Files(x86)\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\ja.lproj\iPod License.rtf. Verify that you have access to that directory."

i navigated to those folders and found that the "ja.lproj" and "sv.lproj" folders are corrupt. when i tried to rollback the installation i noticed that these two files did not delete, nor will WIndows allow me to send them to the recycle bin. (Error 0x80070091: the directory is not empty)

any more suggestions?

thanks

Jul 11, 2010 3:56 PM in response to rocklebee

Ack. Still consistent with disk/file/folder damage, but there's also a possibility that we could have a genuine permissions problem. (For some reason, that iTunes.rtf file seems to get caught by permissions issues more commonly than other files, especially on non-English localisations of Windows.)

Are both the ja.lproj and sv.lprog folders both from inside iTunes.Resources? (They are language resources, so there's a lot of different sv.lproj folders lurking about in the iTunes program files.

If they are both in iTunes.resources, we'll try the same trick as we did with the \Installer Cache\ directory.

Navigate down into C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\ and try to rename the iTunes.Resources folder as iTunes.ResourcesOLD . Reboot the PC, try another 9.2 install. Does it go through any better this time, or do we get another error writing to file?

Jul 11, 2010 4:02 PM in response to rocklebee

i just moved those folders somewhewre else and the install completed successfully!!! thanks a million. really.

... Ahhh, our previous posts crossed. Excellent news!

I'd be inclined to keep data on that PC well-backed-up, rockle. Although one single patch of transient/happenstance hard drive damage could quite plausibly take out three different file/folders (depending on their physical locations on the disk), the worry is that we might have the first signs of a hard drive going bad here. So I'd keep a close eye on it for a while.

instller cant make "C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\Installer Cache\Quicktime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.