Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mirroring without WiFi

I bought a new Apple TV to mirror with my IPhone 6s to use in my RV when there is no Wi-Fi connection. Everyone I ask and everything I see online says this is possible but I cannot get past this set up page. Anyone have step-by-step instructions on accomplishing this?

Posted on Feb 11, 2019 6:51 PM

6 replies

Feb 11, 2019 9:03 PM in response to Phil1220

You would need Bluetooth and wifi enabled on your phone and then it will establish a peer to peer airplay connection. You should then see the airplay icon within control centre on the phone. It won’t work for everything and will be dependent on the strength of the signal you are receiving. It is also not a long term solution, as providers will throttle once a certain threshold is reached and would consider such usage against the fair usage policy.

Feb 12, 2019 5:15 PM in response to vazandrew

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have tried this several times and it still doesn’t work. 

Basically when I turn the Apple TV on I chose a country 

Agree to the privacy policy 

Go through the Siri info

Then it comes up on the “set up your Apple TV. It says “set up with a device which requires a WiFi network and set up manually also requires a WiFi network. I can’t get to any other screens. Any suggestions? 

Feb 12, 2019 5:20 PM in response to vazandrew

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have tried this several times and it still doesn’t work. 

Basically when I turn the Apple TV on I chose a country 

Agree to the privacy policy 

Go through the Siri info

Then it comes up on the “set up your Apple TV. It says “set up with a device which requires a WiFi network and set up manually also requires a WiFi network. I can’t get to any other screens. Any suggestions? 

Feb 13, 2019 7:44 AM in response to Phil1220

could be the DRM https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

that those steaming apps rely on which can't cope

also some apps active block airplay mirror it's the right of the developer

if that is the case then installing the app on the appletv (if it's 4g or 4k) and connecting the appletv

to a hotspot provided by the iPhone to provide it with internet could be a way to resolve the issue

Mirroring without WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.