Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant exit split screen on my iPad Pro

I accidentally entered split screen mode and cant figure out how to exit

iPad Pro, 12

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 12:45 AM

4 replies

Feb 12, 2019 9:24 AM in response to LotusPilot

Do you know how to close a app that is in slide over? I know you can move the app into split view then close it the same way you said above tho in some app do not allow split view apps, so you can't close it this way.

Let's say you open "Notes" in slide over if you swipe to the right to hide them app them move over to a different app follow up clicking on the notes icon it would still open it in slide over?

I know you can long swipe up and click on the notes app within the app switcher would allow it to enter full screen mode again or swiping to the home screen and clicking on the icon would open it in full screen again, but are you close the slide over app within slide over mode (similar to split view app close)?

Feb 12, 2019 10:42 AM in response to SpiralProduction

Having considered the depth of your question a little more, I speculate that you’re trying to “fathom” how you dissassociate the app-pairing that occurs when you open an App in slide-over?

Unless you switch the App view from slide-over to split-view - and then close an app as described - the App-pairing survives closure of the main App. For older iPads (such as iPad Air) that don’t support split-view but do support slide-over, this is even more perplexing. As you have no doubt discovered, removal/reset of an App-pairing is not explained within Apple’s iOS User Guide.

The only mechanism of which I am aware, that removes an App-pairing without resorting to a forced restart of the iPad, is to force close the slide-over App, from the Task Switcher, whilst the slide-over App is active.

Whilst this particular challenge isn’t described, here is a useful guide on using the multitasking features of iOS12:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/09/06/how-to-master-split-view-and-slide-over-for-ios-apps

I hope my additional information and the referenced guide provide some additional insight.

LP

I cant exit split screen on my iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.