Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Did Apple Replace My iPhone When I Sent It In for Repair?

Hello, so I bought an iPhone 8 plus recently used. It turned out when I got the phone, that it was broken. So obviously I am mad. I check the warranty and (i didn’t know that it had it) but it had AppleCare+ Accidential Coverage. So I make a repair request,etc and send it into Apple. Apple “Repairs” It. The reason I put quotes around Repairs is because I got a letter when it was sent back that was a little fishy. Im not complaining but I just want to know. Did I get a brand new phone? Attached is a photo of the letter I got back with my (new?) phone, with the serial number crossed out (obviously). Thanks!

iPhone 8 Plus, 12

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 5:31 AM

2 replies

Feb 12, 2019 6:13 AM in response to ster436

That is normal. I believe the policy is if the device is less than 90 days old when returned for service it is replaced with a new one, if more than 90 days old a refurbished replacement. But replacing a broken device is very common. That way you get something tested and repaired, not something they repair that may not have time to test before it’s sent back.

Feb 12, 2019 8:44 AM in response to ster436

Other than display and battery replacements, Apple does no repairs. They replace your device with a “service unit” which may be a retail new unit, a factory OEM service unit, or a factory OEM refurbished service unit. They will all be indistinguishable from each other so you don’t know which it was - all are warranted to be like new and fully and properly functioning units.

Very early after the introduction of a new model, service units may have shipped directly from the factory (I.e. taken right out of the retail shipping stream) since (in the USA at least) any company offering a warranty must assure they have replacement units in stock at the time they start selling the warrantied item.

Did Apple Replace My iPhone When I Sent It In for Repair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.