Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro trackpad too big, causing many mistakes

I have a new Macbook Pro, purchased just a few months ago. The trackpad is way too big, it's causing mistakes and extra time to address them. Is there a fix for this? For example, can we somehow reduce the area of sensitivity so that these problems can be reduced. For example, the former Macbook Pro model had a sufficiently-sized trackpad (this is what should have remained, after reading other's similar experiences here). But, since I've bought it -- it's mine, but I would surely like to fix the problem -- since this is software and certain areas of the trackpad can be sensed and measured, my suggestion to reduce the area should "technically" be possible.

Anyone?

MacBook Pro 15", 10.14

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2019 2:55 PM

These preferences don't allow me to reduce the area of sensitivity on the trackpad itself, which is what I believe would be very helpful. I, like probably 90% of people out there, rest my palms on the Mac while I'm typing -- in fact, I don't know ANYBODY that types with their wrists lifted up - while that may be considered "proper posture" I couldn't care less. This is what I want, how I work, and I need my Mac to be flexible enough to support that LOL I would imagine internally the trackpad has a grid in the API to sense with -- if we could reduce that grid, I would imagine these problems I (and others) experience will be very minimal. From hereon, I hope Apple pays closer attention to these.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2019 2:55 PM in response to leroydouglas

These preferences don't allow me to reduce the area of sensitivity on the trackpad itself, which is what I believe would be very helpful. I, like probably 90% of people out there, rest my palms on the Mac while I'm typing -- in fact, I don't know ANYBODY that types with their wrists lifted up - while that may be considered "proper posture" I couldn't care less. This is what I want, how I work, and I need my Mac to be flexible enough to support that LOL I would imagine internally the trackpad has a grid in the API to sense with -- if we could reduce that grid, I would imagine these problems I (and others) experience will be very minimal. From hereon, I hope Apple pays closer attention to these.

Feb 12, 2019 3:07 PM in response to Forrest

reduce the area of sensitivity on the trackpad itself,
I, like probably 90% of people out there, rest my palms on the Mac while I'm typing -- in fact, I don't know ANYBODY that types with their wrists lifted up
- while that may be considered "proper posture" I couldn't care less.
I hope Apple pays closer attention to these.

Understood.

Please submit your Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Feb 12, 2019 3:03 PM in response to Forrest

When you hold your hands on the keyboard so that there is some risk of your touching the trackpad, you put yourself at risk for repetitive strain injury, especially carpal tunnel syndrome.

You need to adjust your work area so that your wrists are in a completely neutral position, not flexed at all. This will place your fingers so that they reach down to the keys, nowhere near the trackpad. This may mean putting your MacBook on a different-height surface to do extensive typing.

The fix for carpal tunnel syndrome is extensive surgery in the wrist area, to release the band of connective tissue that will be pressing on your nerve if you do not fix the ergonomics of your work area. This is followed by six weeks or more of daily hand therapy to get your range of motion and finger sensation to return to whatever level is possible for you, often not a complete restoration.

Macbook Pro trackpad too big, causing many mistakes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.