Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes incompatability between 8 on High Sierra and 9 on Mojave

I have my iTunes library installed on my NAS. By doing this I both save precious room on my SSD and also I can access it from all my machines (MacBookPro 2013, 2 x MacbookPro 2010, Win10 PC). I just updated my newest MacBookPro to Mojave which (I now find out) includes iTunes 9. Having got iTunes working on Mojave I now find out that iTunes 8 on High Sierra cannot open the library as it has been "created with a later version - please update your OS".

You can see where this is going... I cannot install Mojave on my older MacBooks and I cannot see a way to update iTunes to v9 on High Sirerra.

Any thoughts anyone??

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 9:18 AM

You'll be talking about iTunes 12.8.x and 12.9.x. You could copy the most recent version of your iTunes database from the Previous iTunes Libraries folder up into the iTunes folder, rename it as iTunes Library (Old).itl then option-start-iTunes on your High Sierra Mac to access the library. You'll need to manually reflect changes in one library to the other.

tt2

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2019 9:18 AM in response to welli1

You'll be talking about iTunes 12.8.x and 12.9.x. You could copy the most recent version of your iTunes database from the Previous iTunes Libraries folder up into the iTunes folder, rename it as iTunes Library (Old).itl then option-start-iTunes on your High Sierra Mac to access the library. You'll need to manually reflect changes in one library to the other.

tt2

Feb 14, 2019 12:43 AM in response to turingtest2

Many, many thanks for this, tt2 - I can now access the music again!

Yes, I did mean 12.8 and 12.9.

If I can ask one more thing, when you say manually refelct changes from one library to the other, I'm not sure what you mean. If I add music to the library using one of the macs how would I manually reflect the changes in the other library file?

Thanks

Feb 14, 2019 3:42 AM in response to welli1

Because the new and old versions of iTunes cannot use the same library if you add an album to one version of the library it won't be visible in the other automatically and you will need to locate the imported tracks in your media folder and drag them into the second library. There are also tools for both Mac and Windows that can be used to scan your media folder for changes. E.g. iTunes Folder Watch for Windows and something like Music folder files not added for Mac.

tt2

iTunes incompatability between 8 on High Sierra and 9 on Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.