Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No more Airport Time Capsul

OK I do have one that did not fail it just filled up and I found a deal on a new Segate 8TB. OK I do not have space to have the device next to my iMac. I want to go wireless to a location about 3 feet behind me. (below or above wiring is not possible). Can I separate the Time capsules ports with another HUB. Can I plug the new HUB in to the old Capsul and see and use the Seagate 8TB and another 1TB SSD into the hub then into the wireless Time Capsul? If so which ports on the old Airport Time Capsul?

iMac 27", 10.14

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 1:32 PM

Can I separate the Time capsules ports with another HUB.

I assume you are referring to a USB hub ... correct? If so, yes, you can add a USB hub to the USB port on the Time Capsule (TC). If, on the other hand, you are referring to an Ethernet switch, you can also connect this to one of the TC's LAN ports to provide additional ports for other wired devices.

Can I plug the new HUB in to the old Capsul and see and use the Seagate 8TB and another 1TB SSD into the hub then into the wireless Time Capsul?

Again, if you are referring to the USB port, then potentially the answer is yes.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2019 1:32 PM in response to billwhit1

Can I separate the Time capsules ports with another HUB.

I assume you are referring to a USB hub ... correct? If so, yes, you can add a USB hub to the USB port on the Time Capsule (TC). If, on the other hand, you are referring to an Ethernet switch, you can also connect this to one of the TC's LAN ports to provide additional ports for other wired devices.

Can I plug the new HUB in to the old Capsul and see and use the Seagate 8TB and another 1TB SSD into the hub then into the wireless Time Capsul?

Again, if you are referring to the USB port, then potentially the answer is yes.

Mar 1, 2019 9:17 PM in response to billwhit1

The Seagate is now plugged directly into the USB port on the ATC.. I do not see the disk on my desktop or in finder.

Your first test to find out if the drive is compatible with the Time Capsule is to open AirPort Utility on your Mac, select the Time Capsule, click Edit, then click the Disk tab to see if the drive appears in AirPort Utility.

In the example below, you can see a drive that is named 500GB Drive that is connected to the Time Capsule. I have renamed the Time Capsule drive.....normally called "Data" to read "Backups".

Does the drive appear when you run this check?

If not, make sure that the drive has been formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If the drive has been formatted to work with most PCs, then it will not appear.

The bottom line.......the drive must first appear in AirPort Utility......before.....you will be able to see the drive using the Finder.

Mar 1, 2019 7:06 PM in response to Tesserax

Yes is the answer to your question, The Seagate is now plugged directly into the USB port on the ATC.. I do not see the disk on my desktop or in finder. That did not work I guess next is a reboot to see if the Seagate is found. Its late here and I'm not doing any good. Sorry I was out of communication for about 10 days, Health is bad, getting old is not fun! I'll report tomorrow if it works if so I'll put the hub back into the ATC and two disk in it. OBTW I did successfully make several patricians so the 8TB is now 3 disks with the backups going to the first and largest. Later I want to delete all backup data that is on the internal ATC disk. Much later as I'm about out of gas for today.

No more Airport Time Capsul

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.