Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove 'unnamed' from a photo without 'hiding people names'

I've not found a way to remove the circle with 'unnamed' that comes when a face in the background is recognized. It is just unbelievable clutter - I want to be able to see the names of the people in the photo that I know, but don't want that 'unnamed' banner on those I don't care about. There must be a way to do this.

MacBook Pro 15", 10.13

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 6:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 7:08 PM

You can only remove faces that you added yourself. There is no longer a way to remove any of the automatically detected faces circles from the photos. This change has been introduced with Photos 3.0 on High Sierra, when Photos got the new ability to recognise scenes automatically. Now each and every face detected face will be kept around forever. You will see the faces when you are viewing a photo with Faces enabled, but they are not automatically added to the People album, and there is no album of unnamed faces any longer, because we cannot weed it out.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2019 7:08 PM in response to Jvanpotter

You can only remove faces that you added yourself. There is no longer a way to remove any of the automatically detected faces circles from the photos. This change has been introduced with Photos 3.0 on High Sierra, when Photos got the new ability to recognise scenes automatically. Now each and every face detected face will be kept around forever. You will see the faces when you are viewing a photo with Faces enabled, but they are not automatically added to the People album, and there is no album of unnamed faces any longer, because we cannot weed it out.

Feb 14, 2019 10:07 AM in response to Jvanpotter

I have not been trying to excuse the way the People album is working now, but trying to explain, what is Apple trying to offer now. I do not like it either, because it is cluttering up my photos with unnamed faces.

Did you ever use the People album on Sierra, when we still could reject unnamed faces? This has been very buggy. The unnamed Faces album has been a mess of white thumbnails. I suspect the current way - forbidding the delete recognized faces is a bug fix, and it also helps with the scene recognition and the syncing of named faces with iCloud Photos.

You may want to send feedback to Apple with a feature request: Feedback - Photos - Apple

We need to be able to search for unnamed faces and to be able to get rid of unimportant, automatically detected faces, that are obscuring the faces tables of the people we want to name.

How to remove 'unnamed' from a photo without 'hiding people names'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.