Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8, iTunes selectively not syncing with cable pc

Windows 10 PC Home PC, iPhone 8, syncing iTunes with the cable.

iTunes is selectively refusing to sync most of my music, including CD rips. The music is present and plays in iTunes on the PC just fine, files aren’t lost on the PC. No exclamation points. Cable recognized, just iTunes chooses >300 songs.

Fully updated both phone and PC. Rebooted many times. Drivers updated. Registry stable. Uninstalled/reinstalled iTunes several times. No problems with antivirus/firewall/VPN (all Norton). Apple Music, cloud is off. Deleted all music from iPhone, and there’s only 13GB used of 64GB- it’s not a space issue.

iPhone 8, 12

Posted on Feb 13, 2019 10:13 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 14, 2019 11:12 AM in response to tick-chick

You could try the following all-purpose steps for dealing with erratic device or sync behaviour (including the troublesome greyed out tracks and/or dotted circles of stalled transfers). They assume that all of the content you want on the device is in your library ready for restoring. If it isn't see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device first. I would also recommend you copy everything out of the camera roll if you haven't already.

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup you made earlier.

Use an encrypted backup (*) if you want to preserve passwords, Wi-Fi settings, web history and health data where appropriate. I also suggest syncing with a selection of playlists (unless you're using iCloud Music Library) rather than manually adding content as, if nothing else, the process above is easier to do if you ever have to go through it again.

(*) The downside with backup encryption is that if you forget the password when you need it again, which could be years later, you may need to invoke a workaround to turn off encryption as shown in Disable iOS backup encryption, which can only help if your device is in a state that can backup to iCloud, or runs iOS 11.

For added security you might also want to make an independent backup to iCloud and/or archive your current backup before you start.

FWIW I successfully used this method some time ago when Siri became unable to call contacts or play my music.

tt2

Feb 17, 2019 1:51 AM in response to turingtest2

Spent close to another 2h with an Apple support tech on the phone on Friday morning (this issue has seen several techs- hours and hours of them, and days of my own solo work) and between exhaustion on both our parts and the computer out of battery, still no headway. Nothing worked. But it got me to trying poking around old school, and finally think I’ve got it fixed at 2:30AM this morning.

After many rounds of deleting the library and rebuilding it from the backup drive to no avail, interspersed with flicking settings on and off everywhere, I decided to search the D drive completely for the music, which was invisible though not “hidden”. iTunes insisted was there, though it wouldn’t sync it to the phone and you couldn’t find it anywhere on any of the drives. The only instance of the missing files were temporary ghosts that showed briefly as “recent activity” on the D. So I quickly connected the auxiliary backup drive and got them over there before they vanished off the computer, which they did. I then did the full routine of deleting all music on the computer and building the library again, and it finally seems to have worked.

Feb 14, 2019 2:29 PM in response to turingtest2

Already did that several times: alone, with the Genius Bar in store, and unpleasant experiences with a few second tier support supervisors on the phone who didn’t help at all.

Wipe and restore doesn’t work, and has a bizarre side effect every time of going into recursive loops of demanding the email and password for an account whose email was changed over half a decade ago. It’s just stopped doing that.

iPhone 8, iTunes selectively not syncing with cable pc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.