Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

60p>24p slowdown

I am making a 24p video using 60p media. I'm going for a really framey fast shutter action look. Well, I achieve that part, handily. Nearest frame (no blending) works absolutely perfect. The other side of the coin is I'm using 24p to downconvert 60p to a 40% speed slow motion. This works in Compressor just fine, taking the 60fps and stretching the same frames over 24fps. But in Final Cut 6, I drag the 60p media onto the 24p timeline, change the speed to 40%, and it strobes on each as if I have taken an actual 24p clip (60p with frames dropped) and then stretched it out. Basically it's ignoring all the extra information that's in the 60p clip. It doesn't matter if frame blending is on or not, and even variable time acts as if the clip has been baked into 24p—36 out of my total 60 frames per second have gone missing.

I've even tried stretching it out first on a 60p timeline and copy/pasting into the 24p timeline, same deal. Three out of five frames vanish, leaving a strobe effect behind.

Any ideas? Some preference option I missed?

Mac Pro Octo2.26GHz Nahalem, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4870, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 11, 2010 1:11 PM

5 replies

Jul 11, 2010 3:58 PM in response to Meg The Dog

If it's not possible then it's not possible, that's why I'm here to ask some of the big guys here if they know what's going on or not. And I want to stay in FCP for the same reasons anyone would- It's a hassle to be going in and out of programs to do what's often just finding out if a clip works or not. There's no clear vision where I know I'll only need to slow down 3 clips or something, I could do this 50 times.

60p>24p slowdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.