Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my imac is very

My iMac is very slow . How can I make it fast again

iMac 21.5", 10.14

Posted on Feb 17, 2019 8:14 AM

10 replies

Feb 18, 2019 11:17 AM in response to hemant151

That depends on what you buy - see here for an example (screenshot from the Apple store):

from here:

https://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

As you can see, both 21" models come with 5400 rpm drives. Only the 27" has a 7200 rpm drive. For the best experience, you would need to choose either size with an all SSD drive (fusion drives don't do that much in speed because the SSD portion is too small to actually run all your apps, so most of the work still takes place on the regular hard drive, but 7200 rpm is ok although SSD is the fastest, but expensive).

And you do not want anything smaller in storage than 500 GB for an all SSD - if you can afford it, go for 1 TB.

Feb 17, 2019 8:57 AM in response to hemant151

I have a few suggestions, hemant151. I don't know how much RAM (memory) you have installed in your iMac, just that it's very slow, which could be caused by a few things. You could get Activity Monitor running (may be under Utilities) and see if there are any "runaway" applications/programs which might be hogging RAM and CPU time and shut them down. Other than that, maybe EtreCheck will help shed some light on what's going on. I've heard, at least here, nothing but good things about it. Very useful and safe application. Under no circumstances, and I mean under no circumstances, as in not ever, please don't, download and install anything that claims to "fix your Mac", "Clean your Mac from junk" "Eliminate Viruses" etc. Those things are trouble and will give you more problems than they claim to solve

just saying....

John B

Feb 17, 2019 9:01 AM in response to hemant151

And, unless you have one with an SSD, the 21" models mostly came with a glacially slow 5400 rpm hard drive (which does everything read/write/whatever you do about 33+% slower than the stock 7200 rpm drive in a 27" iMac.

Furthermore, without some detailed info, there is no way to effectively help you as it could be caused by a slew of things. So, please download, run, and post the results of this utility (use the third button from the right in the little tool bar to post it):

www.etrecheck.com

Feb 17, 2019 12:23 PM in response to babowa

Dear JohnB-one and babowa

You are both very kind and thank you for helping poor ;out souls like me . Please see the etrecheck report below .

Many thanks

Hemant

EtreCheck version: 5.1 (5A022)

Report generated: 2019-02-17 20:11:18

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 20:60

Performance: Poor

Problem: Computer is too slow

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 

Failing hard drive - This machine has an older, mechanical hard disk that appears to be failing.

Adware - Adware detected.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems. 

Out of RAM - This machine is running short on RAM and has a mechanical hard drive, reducing the speed of the virtual memory system.

Apps crashing - There have been numerous app crashes.

Apps with heavy CPU usage - There have been numerous cases of apps with heavy CPU usage.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. They appear to be legitimate but should be reviewed.

32-bit Apps - This machine has 32-bits apps that may have problems in the future.

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

Hardware Information:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012)

iMac Model: iMac13,1

1 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-3470S) CPU: 4-core

8 GB RAM - Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600 ok

BANK 1/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600 ok

Video Information:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M - VRAM: 512 MB

iMac 1920 x 1080

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 5400 RPM)

Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

disk0s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk0s2 [APFS Container] 1000.00 GB

disk1 [APFS Virtual drive] 1000.00 GB (Shared by 4 volumes)

disk1s1 - Macintosh HD (APFS) (Shared - 891.79 GB used)

disk1s2 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (Shared - 23 MB used)

disk1s3 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (Shared - 509 MB used)

disk1s4 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (Shared - 2.15 GB used)

Mounted Volumes:

disk1s1 - Macintosh HD 1000.00 GB (105.32 GB free)

APFS

Mount point: /

disk1s4 - VM [APFS VM] (Shared - 2.15 GB used)

APFS

Mount point: /private/var/vm

disk2s2 - 2************K 168 MB (29 MB free)

Journaled HFS+

Disk Image

Mount point: /Volumes/2************K

Network:

Interface Bluetooth-Modem: Bluetooth DUN

Interface en0: Ethernet

Interface en5: iPhone

Interface fw0: Thunderbolt FireWire

Interface fw1: Thunderbolt FireWire 2

Interface en1: Wi-Fi

802.11 a/b/g/n

Interface en2: Bluetooth PAN

Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge

System Software:

macOS Mojave 10.14 (18A391) 

Time since boot: About 19 days

Security:

GatekeeperEnabled

System Integrity ProtectionEnabled

my imac is very

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.