Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating Apps

I have changed my Apple ID. Each time I try to update my apps, I put in my new Apple ID and password, then it asks me for the password for an old Apple ID which is not even an Apple ID anymore! It will even tell me that and then ask for the password again to the non-existent old Apple ID. Has anyone had this happen and is there a quick solution?

iPhone 8, 12

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 5:22 AM

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2019 5:22 AM in response to islasue72

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review

Feb 18, 2019 1:04 AM in response to islasue72

Hi islasue72,

Back up your iPhone and then try the following steps to resolve your issue.

1. Open the Settings application. Navigate to [your name] > iTunes & App Store. Verify you are signed in with the correct Apple ID.
  2. Open the Settings application. Navigate to General > Reset > Reset All Settings. Please note you will have configure some settings again, such as passcode, Wi-Fi, wallpaper, etc.
  3. Update the software.
  4. Delete the affected third-party applications. Restart the iPhone. Install the applications again from the App Store.

If the issue persists, erasing the iPhone and setting up the device as new may be required. Contact Apple Support for further assistance.

All the best.

Updating Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.