Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Sound Preferences won't recognize HomePod Stereo Pair

I have two HomePods that are paired for stereo output. The pairing is recognized on my iOS devices and sounds brilliant when I play music through my phone or iPad. The problem comes with my 10-core iMac Pro running Mojave 10.14.3. Under sound output, it sees two separate items for "Office" but I can only output to one or the other with no stereo. As a secondary note, the pair is visible and works in iTunes, but not in Mac Sound Preferences, which I need to play all my other sound in.

This is an updated reposting of the exact same problem from High Sierra someone posted back in May of 2018 - AND IT"S STILL NOT FIXED! Is Apple simply saying they don't want us to have stereo sound in any other app but iTunes???

iMac 27", 10.13

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 9:29 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 18, 2019 9:53 AM in response to sysengr-2

Correction on the iTunes working... I can select the stereo pair on the Mac only after it starts playing a song. And only for that song. If I select the pair before the song and hit play, it resets to default. If I select it after a song starts, the pair starts working... but only till the next song starts. Then it resets to system standards. Is this yet another example about how I wasted $7K on an iMac with more problems and security holes than an old Android phone???

Feb 18, 2019 12:55 PM in response to turingtest2

I replied there, gave them an earful, but I couldn't even navigate the screens properly. It only wants to know what IOS version you're on, not MacOS, and when it says what system did you use to pair the HomePods with, of course there's no MacOS Home, only IOS. After the total fail with the iMac Pro and their refusal to acknowledge any of the systemic failures, this looks like another rat hole. I think they're going back.

Feb 20, 2019 2:27 PM in response to turingtest2

Um, OK, I think I found out what the issue is. They can't figure out how to get within a second and a half delay on the audio. Trying only one speaker, everything is at least a second and a half out of sync. So they're not going to tell you they can't sync audio and video / application, right??? So don't ever look for this to get fixed. (and yes, my network and system are tuned for this...).

MacOS Sound Preferences won't recognize HomePod Stereo Pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.