Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro late 2013 battery replacement cost not as advertised

My 2013 13" macbook pro with retina display Battery is fine but starting to swell so I called apple to setup a repair to replace the battery the price on there web site says 199.00 for this model so I thought I'll let them replace the battery well they send you a secure link to pay for it the price was 518.00, WOW so I cancelled it.

Talked to Apple reps they were shocked it kept coming up at that price. Nothing is wrong with the computer battery still shows normal I thought it is starting to swell its five years old for 199.00 plus shipping and tax I should get it done. The reps were very good but I'm disappointed in Apple that price to replace a battery is way out of line, been an Apple customer since 1984 and am very disappointed in them.

MacBook Pro 13", 10.14

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 3:35 PM

No its not a good answer I don't like your response I been an Apple customer for years and there decision to bond the battery to the case is a poor one. I have a 2008 15" macbook pro just put a battery in pushed a lever case door opened put in new battery.

I don't need any more responses from you!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2019 3:35 PM in response to Buster_From_Oak_Park

No its not a good answer I don't like your response I been an Apple customer for years and there decision to bond the battery to the case is a poor one. I have a 2008 15" macbook pro just put a battery in pushed a lever case door opened put in new battery.

I don't need any more responses from you!

Feb 19, 2019 9:10 AM in response to Brant Snowhill

Well I checked out the Apple pricing list for battery replacement. It does state $199 for the battery replacement on a Retina MacBook Pro. I will say that they do state "All Eligible Models". They don't state "All Retina models are covered". I think that's the issue. Some retina models are easy to swap the battery and the others require a full top case replacement. While the wording could be more transparent I do think the "All Eligible Models" is what allows them to list $199 as the base price.

EDIT: Also one more thing I noticed. Apple does state this. "We might need to test your product to determine the final service fee."

Feb 18, 2019 12:49 PM in response to Brant Snowhill

Hi, Brant Snowhill !

It's never any fun to be told things we don't want to hear. In this case it would appear a mistake was made on the Apple web site, as your model of MacBook Pro requires a top case replacement to replace the battery. Simply put the higher of the two prices would be the correct price in your case. The battery is physically bonded to the top case, so there is no way of removing the battery and replacing it as a stand-alone part. In all reality you are probably replacing the top case, keyboard, battery and trackpad - which explains the higher price.

We could certainly have a spirited debate that a swelling battery is "fine", as left unchecked by indecision or dithering over repairing it will cause more damage to your MacBook Pro than tending to the service of it. If a battery is swelling there is something wrong with it. I know you don't want to hear what it will take to fix that battery, but it is what it is.

Be disappointed if you must, but first I would ask of you to submit documented proof you have never, ever made a mistake no matter how slight. Stones, glass houses and what-not.

Good luck !

Feb 18, 2019 6:55 PM in response to Brant Snowhill

Who quoted you that price? An real Apple Store or a reseller or service provider?

We have seen other reports here where a third-party service provider or reseller quoted the exorbitant price because they did not have the proper equipment needed to unstick the battery for replacement. If you have access to an Apple retail store have them evaluate.

Roughly where are you? The last report I saw of this problem was from the UK. Apple needs to know it specific providers are overcharging.

Please remember you are addressing other end users here, not Apple.

Feb 19, 2019 5:02 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks Allan

This price was from Apple themselves would have been a mail in since I'm a care giver for my mother its hard to leave her.The Apple reps. were very good and they couldn't believe the price they tried several times to put it in but came up with same price, they also saw on there web site the 199.00 for this model.

The battery is glued in but there are several places they sell a kit for 99.00 the reviews from people that have done it said take your time follow directions from those vendors and it worked for them.

I was going to let Apple do it for the 199.00 plus shipping and tax but when price came up at over 500 I stopped, even the Apple reps. were stunned, as to anyone saying top case has to be replaced I've heard that but not this model.

Feb 19, 2019 7:26 AM in response to Brant Snowhill

If the Apple reps were stunned, what resolution did they suggest for you? Did you let them leave you without a definitive answer or a plan for a follow-up?

If so, call them back and ask them to specify Apple's policy on saying $199 and charging $599. Under most consumer laws in the US (such as if this were a grocery store) you get the lower marked price, period. That is what you should ask for.

Feb 19, 2019 8:30 AM in response to Brant Snowhill

Brant Snowhill,

That you do not like the answer is irrelevant - it is reality, and it is the truth. If you want to hate me, or my answer, strictly because you don't want to hear it then I can only wish you a long and healthy hatred but in no event will this change the reality one iota.

By the way, I am still waiting for that documentation...

Macbook Pro late 2013 battery replacement cost not as advertised

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.