Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems installing Kyocera printer driver on macOS Mojave

How to install Kyocera Mita printer drivers on macOS Mojave.

On a 2016 MacBook Pro with macOS 10.14.4 beta (developer access to beta releases), just today, I spent hours today, and actually I haven't succeeded in 2-years, trying to install print drivers that work on my networked Kyocera Mita KM-4035 printer in my office. However, I have found a solution.

It's crucial to note that the newest drivers do not work on Mojave or any macOS version past 10.5 (I have not documented the testing earlier versions in the last two years, but since Kyocera offers drivers for those versions, I'm assuming they work for those versions, but I wouldn't bet on it.) The secret is to use Linux PPD drivers. I'm reading they worked on macOS 9, as well. Here is the source article:

Install Drivers on current versions of macOS
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install+Drivers+on+current+versions+of+macOS/113660
Introduction
Kyocera only provides drivers for Mac OS 9 and Mac OS 10.4 for the FS-1010. In this Guide a workaround is used to be able to install drivers for this printer on current versions of macOS.
This Guide was tested on macOS 10.14 Mojave.
Even though this guide is written for the FS-1010, you may be able to install drivers for other Kyocera printers or even printers from other manufacturers as well using this guide. You may need to adapt the steps to your conditions and circumstances.

A new problem surfaced from this. Kyocera does not offer Linux drivers for the KM-4035. So, I found Linux drivers on a website called OPEN PRINTING:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Kyocera/Kyocera-KM-4035

Kyocera KM-4035 Black & White printer, max. 1200x1200 dpi, works Perfectly.
Recommended Driver: Postscript-Kyocera (Home pageView PPDdirectly download PPD, Driver packages: All architectures: 20160218 (RPM for LSB 3.2) (Signed), 20160218 (DEB for LSB 3.2) (Signed) (How to install))Generic Instructions: CUPSLPDLPRngPPRPDQno spooler 
Discussion Forum
Look for help in our forum for printers from Kyocera and Kyocera-Mita.
Miscellaneous
Printer supports PJL.

OPEN PRINTER's Linux driver worked!

To install:

Use the "Default" tab in the "Add" printer window that pops up when pressing the plus button (+) in the Printers & Scanners window in System Preferences. My KM-4035 was recognized as a "Bonjour" Kind (type) printer. In the "Use:" field, select "other..." and select the downloaded Linux driver.

PC Installs are not similar:

My PC's were installed using the IP address of the printer. I didn't have to configure anything like that, as the install was completely different.

Kyocera's website completely misleads customers, and I've found very, very little on the web about this, so I'm posting this solution to help others figure out this near-impossible work-around.

Thanks

Paul Alexander

MacBook Pro 15", 10.13

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 4:57 PM

2 replies

Problems installing Kyocera printer driver on macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.