Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone ringer resets to max volume when plugged into carplay

When I plug my iPhone XS into CarPlay running iOS 12.1.4, the ringer volume on my iPhone resets to max volume. I must manually turn it down regardless if its plugged in to the car or not. Using Ford Sync 3.

iPhone XS, 12

Posted on Feb 18, 2019 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2019 8:26 AM

Hello, peterfromtn.

It's my understanding that your volume is changed to maximum when you connect your iPhone to the CarPlay. I got some steps that may help you with this. First, make sure to restart your iPhone. Sometimes a simple restart can help resolve issues. Then I would check to see if there's a setting on your CarPlay that might have volume adjustments when devices are connected. This may require you to contact the manufacturer along with checking for a firmware update. Another test you can do is connect via Bluetooth instead of the USB cable to see if the same thing occurs. Also test with another phone. These steps can help us narrow down why this is happening.

Keep me updated.

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2019 8:26 AM in response to peterfromtn

Hello, peterfromtn.

It's my understanding that your volume is changed to maximum when you connect your iPhone to the CarPlay. I got some steps that may help you with this. First, make sure to restart your iPhone. Sometimes a simple restart can help resolve issues. Then I would check to see if there's a setting on your CarPlay that might have volume adjustments when devices are connected. This may require you to contact the manufacturer along with checking for a firmware update. Another test you can do is connect via Bluetooth instead of the USB cable to see if the same thing occurs. Also test with another phone. These steps can help us narrow down why this is happening.

Keep me updated.

Cheers!

Feb 20, 2019 5:35 PM in response to chris_g1

I have had this problem since at least 12.0 and my phone has been reset numerous times. CarPlay on Ford Sync 3 has no volume settings outside the volume control for the radio. I run the latest version of Sync3 and iOS and still have the issue. CarPlay does not run on Sync3 via Bluetooth on my truck, although it does connect to Sync3 via Bluetooth which does not reset the volume.

Apr 15, 2019 1:38 PM in response to peterfromtn

Every Ford rental car I drive, going back to 2016 has done this. 2 different iPhone versions and numerous iOS updates: same issue. Ford refused to deal with it because I didn’t own the vehicles. I took pictures of the firmware of the Sync systems, but no resolution. There are Ford forums where owners complain. Someone has got to be able to solve this. I’m in an Explorer rental car this week, and it happens every time.

iphone ringer resets to max volume when plugged into carplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.