📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chiming won’t stop even in airplane mode

Airplane mode used to stop the all night chiming. But as of a couple weeks ago, my iPhone started chiming all night long! I thought airplane mode was supposed to cut off the communication! Make it stop!

iPhone 7, 12

Posted on Feb 19, 2019 5:46 AM

4 replies

Feb 25, 2019 4:00 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

All I know is that up until about 4 weeks ago, when I went to bed and plugged my phone in to recharge on my nightstand, I couldn't check the weather or the news one last time IF I had already put it in "Airplane mode." The phone would give me a dialogue box that I had to adjust my settings to allow wi-fi to open web pages. And I have NEVER put my phone in "Do Not Disturb" mode; it was always Airplane Mode. A young university instructor (just out of college himself) told me about airplane mode for this purpose and it worked for quite awhile. But no longer.

If I put it in "Do Not Disturb" can I still use the alarm function? I turn the sound down to one bar and that way I don't wake my partner who sleeps in. Of course right now since my phone chimes all night long with app updates (I guess?) (at a fairly low volume, but not low enough) our sleep is greatly disturbed anyway. I have NEVER had my phone alerting me about new emails. That would be ridiculous. I want the phone to be COMPLETELY SILENT until the morning when the alarm sounds. Help!!

Chiming won’t stop even in airplane mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.