Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad says it's storage is full, but it really isn't.

So basically, this has been going on for a long while. My iPad has 32 GB of storage and I've only used 20.2 of it (after deleting lots of my apps, so now I only have about 9). I don't get this. One of those 9 apps was Garage Band, which I had recently redone loaded when I missed making music. I still have 11.8 gigabytes left, but Garage Band tells me that there's been an error. It says WiFi connection might be bad, but that's not it. Every time I get on an app like Medibang Paint or Minecraft, it tells me "There is no more room on your tablet. Try to free up some space" or something like that. I'll also show a picture.

iPad, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 20, 2019 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2019 5:51 PM

Here are some screen shots showing what I said a minute ago in my last response:

6 replies

Mar 21, 2019 4:12 PM in response to allie552

A 32 GBs iPad after drive formatting and installation of iOS starts out at an internal free data space of 28-29 GBs.

For iOS to function at an acceptable level, iOS needs to constantly maintain, at a minimum, 2-3 GBs of free internal data stirage space.

So, that leaves, a practical storage space amount amount of between 25-27 GBs.

You have used nearly 21 GBs of the available 25-27 GBs, leaving your iPad with between 5-7 GBs of actual, free data storage space left.

Not sure how many apps you had installed, but some apps eat up a lot of data space on an iPad before you even start using them.

The size of any apps you install from the iOS App Store has its data size listed in the app description.

Some apps can reach up to 2.0 GBs in size and some in-app purchases of app features can be large in data size, as well!

Feb 22, 2019 6:16 AM in response to allie552

Hello allie552,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities! Based on your message and your great screenshots I can see that you’re seeing messages saying that the iPad storage is full. First, restart your iPad following these steps:

Once restarted, check to see if you’re still seeing the notification in Settings for iPad Storage Full. If you are follow the steps in this article: About storage on your device and in iCloud. If the storage notification persists, contact Apple Support for more assistance.

Cheers!

Mar 21, 2019 6:36 AM in response to chris_g1

I'm having the same problem described by allie552; however, the steps for restarting an iPad that chris_g1 said would be following, are not in his response. The response just continues with, "Once restarted...."

Can you please post the instructions for restarting the iPad? I've already tried turning it off and on, but that didn't improve the situation.

Thank you.

Mar 23, 2019 5:44 PM in response to MichelPM

I appreciate you making sure I understood the things you stated in your response, but I really did have the same problem described by allie552 in their original post. Similar to allie552's screenshot, my iPad indicates about 19 GB used out of 64 GB, but when trying to record a video, a message immediately comes up saying "iPad Storage Full" (not iCloud storage full). To answer a previous question, the iPad has 35 apps. The iPad Storage page, under Recommendations, Review Large Attachments, says I can save up to 242 MB by deleting Photos, Videos and Attachments. A few other details from the iPad's "about" page: Capacity: 64 GB, Available: 44.91 GB, Version: 12.1.4 (16D57).

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you.

My iPad says it's storage is full, but it really isn't.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.