Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I open an iTunes 12.9 library on an older version of iTunes (12.8)?

Hi, we run our stereo off an older MacBook that cannot handle Mojave, so iTunes can be updated only to version 12.8 on that machine. How can I get it to read an iTunes library created by a machine running Mojave and iTunes 12.9? We periodically copy the library onto an external drive and leave that drive connected to the older MacBook. (We do not want to use HomeSharing.)

Hoping there is a workaround that allows that machine to use the library file.

Posted on Feb 20, 2019 3:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2019 6:27 AM

Hi sck4505,

If I'm understanding your message correctly, you'd like to be able to use the iTunes Library which is from the Mac running Mojave and iTunes 12.9, on the older MacBook which is not running Mojave and is only running iTunes version 12.8. I know how important my music is, and am happy to help you with this question.

iTunes 12.9 can read an iTunes Library which was created in iTunes 12.8. However, it is not backward compatible. This means that iTunes 12.8 can read data from iTunes 12.8 and older, but can not read iTunes 12.9. You mentioned that you do not wish to use HomeSharing. Did you know that with Apple Music you can share your music collection across all your devices? This article will tell you more about how Apple Music works with the iCloud Music Library: Access your music collection on all of your devices with Apple Music

Enjoy the day!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2019 6:27 AM in response to sck4505

Hi sck4505,

If I'm understanding your message correctly, you'd like to be able to use the iTunes Library which is from the Mac running Mojave and iTunes 12.9, on the older MacBook which is not running Mojave and is only running iTunes version 12.8. I know how important my music is, and am happy to help you with this question.

iTunes 12.9 can read an iTunes Library which was created in iTunes 12.8. However, it is not backward compatible. This means that iTunes 12.8 can read data from iTunes 12.8 and older, but can not read iTunes 12.9. You mentioned that you do not wish to use HomeSharing. Did you know that with Apple Music you can share your music collection across all your devices? This article will tell you more about how Apple Music works with the iCloud Music Library: Access your music collection on all of your devices with Apple Music

Enjoy the day!

How can I open an iTunes 12.9 library on an older version of iTunes (12.8)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.