Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to force quit mail to shut down computer?

This seems to have started a few months ago but it's starting to really bug me. I have tried rebuilding mailboxes as well as a bunch of other things. Nothing seems to help.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.2 on a 2012 macbook pro retina.

Is there a reason why Apple's own app is the one that cause problems on an Apple computer?

(This doesn't make any sense).

Thanks for you imput

Posted on Feb 20, 2019 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2019 4:13 PM

Try this link to verify your mail settings. There's also an option to talk to Apple Support.https://support.apple.com/mail-settings-lookup

4 replies

Feb 20, 2019 4:13 PM in response to borisla

If Mail has a connection open to a remote mail server, and there is ongoing network activity on it, then a shutdown request will tell Mail to stop what it is doing, but Mail must wait for that network connection to time out and that delays the shutdown request. Without a shutdown request, I have had infrequent occurrences where quitting Mail would hang it for a minute or so before it actually quit on its own. This could be due to something going on with the remote ISP Mail server too.

I recommend quitting Mail (and other open applications) before invoking the shutdown process.

Why do I have to force quit mail to shut down computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.